water water, evrywhere

Nick_Black

Mirthmaker
http://www.studiotips.com/absorb1.html

based of that chart, it sais that an adult human has some pretty impressive obsorption capabilaties. and instead of slaughtering off a few school mates, and hooking them up int the corners with meat hooks.. I was thinking, since our body's are something like..%75 water I bilieve... how good would a "water" bass trap be?

just curius

Nick_Black

Water is hard to get to stand upright in the corner. However, in keeping with your ideas, have you considered Jell-O ? Massive Jell-O blocks in the corner might render the effect you're after.

Price per pound a little more than OC703 but the vibe factor blows it away when you put a Lava Lamp and a sub-woofer behind it.

Take it from me, don't bother with the Jell-O pudding products. While the sound performance characteristics may be similar, the negative vibe factor completely negates any possible benefits.

OWz's weirdest post.

This is my daydreamed design for a live room. Yes, I watched too many science fiction movies as a child.

|COLOR="MatrixGreen|"Imagine an opening at the back of your studio that opened out into a giant open shaft that extended for quite some distance up and down. Water droplets fall through the shaft thick as a rainstorm, and are kept from hitting the bottom by some kind of heating/ evaporating machanism. The shaft designed and tuned for specific reverb qualities, or completely coated in absorbtive material. The raindrops act as both sound transmission enhancers, diffusors and the most hella cool lava lamp ever: definitely some lighting / laser effects going on in the aqua reverb shaft.|COLOR|

The thinking is to access the sound qualitites of a foggy day or in a rainstorm or in the shower.

_____

Anyway, to actually comment on the idea above, I would think that water's transmissive qualities would make it a poor acoustic treatment. Ever been in an indoor pool in a cheaply constructed building with a dozen little kids playing? Cacophony.

A snow making machine:D

Snow doesn't make any sound and if you keep the room at a comfy temp, it should melt before it hits the ground.

Well, you could put the water in some sort of container :D

Interesting idea... not sure how well it would work, but worth a shot?

for some unknown reason i have a sink in my room.

would turning on the tap have any positive acoustic effect?

if so, hot or cold? would one cancel out the other? and should i leave the plug in?

Andrew.

The only problem I can see is having potential phase issues when running both the hot and cold taps simultaneously. Otherwise you should be good to go.

A series of huge sponges that you set up faucets over so you can refill them everytime you have a session. that would be some pretty heavy absorbtion i think.

just keep a padded catch basin so the droplets wont seep into the tracks

I guess a fishtank would come in handy in the corner of a room then...
but then I guess your dealing with reflections off the glass...

maybe making 4x2 glass water box's would work... but then its a disaster waiting to happen

Back