Water Bill Problems

billyshuler

I'm living in a rented duplex. The water heater busted under the house which resulted in a water bill of over a thousand dollars. I don't know if I have to pay that or if my landlord does. My landlord has been telling me to pay it. Should I be going out and getting a lawyer or what?

I'm living in a rented duplex. The water heater busted under the house which resulted in a water bill of over a thousand dollars. I don't know if I have to pay that or if my landlord does. My landlord has been telling me to pay it. Should I be going out and getting a lawyer or what?

Contact the water dept. first....and who's name is teh bill under?

The water bill is under my name. My landlord called while ago and said he got the water company to adjust the bill by $300 but that honestly doesn't help me much. I'll contact the water company on Monday myself though. What my whole confusion is over is if the water bill would be the landlords responsibility due to faulty equipment. I just got married and my health insurance went up alot, I know alot of people are having money problems now too but if i'm not responsible for the bill I don't want to pay it. But I don't want to be an asshole about it either.

Yeah, contact teh water people...they might understand what happened...may not, but it wouldn't hurt...

Thanks for the advise. This is the first time I've had a problem like this so your advise really is appreciated.

I would guess that if the water heater broke and destroyed some of your property it would be the landlord's responsibility. This should be his to take care of, under the same theory. Water heater = infrastructure...in this case literally.

You'll have to pay it as it's in your name, but you should be able to claim it back from the landlord. If he doesn't pay up when asked, contact your lawyer.

You'll have to pay it as it's in your name, but you should be able to claim it back from the landlord. If he doesn't pay up when asked, contact your lawyer.

As a landlord, this would irk me to no end. The FIRST thing is for the landlord or tenant to contact the water company. Don't just pay the bill and expect the landlord to reimburse. The water company is less likely to adjust anything after it's been paid.

I have had this exact situation happen more than once. A pipe burst under the slab. My tenant called me and said his water bill was several hundred dollars. The water company would not reduce the bill, but they would offer a credit against future bills. I paid the bill and got the leak fixed.

The landlord should be responsible for it, unless the lease specifically states otherwise. I can't imagine a landlord would try to stick a tenant with something like that.

HOWEVER, the landlord should be notified ASAP to minimize the financial impact to him/her. If you sat on the bill for several days and let the water continue leaking - then I'd be on the landlord's side and try to stick you with it.

My landlord contacted the water company and had the bill adjusted. I didn't want to screw my landlord over because he's been pretty good to me but I didn't want to get screwed either. My next bill will be high too but he has to pay most of it. It seems to be all worked out now. Thanks for all the advise everyone!!

If it's not your fault that the water heater broke, than it is definitely the land lords responsibility to pay for it. I had something similar happen and had a jack ass of a land lord. I took him to small claims court and won. The judge basically laughed him out of court because his defense was that the bill was in my name so it was my problem. He then tried to take the small claim out of my security deposit and was dumb enough to list it on my receipt as "costs from court case". I knocked on his door and explained to him that he either pay it now or I would again take his ass to court. The funny thing is he could've taken my sec. deposit and just made up shit about the check out form or cleaning or carpet burns or whatever. I never took pictures or anything so he could've easily had me there. Instead the dumbass puts "court costs" on my check out form!

Don't you have an insurance for this? Or it might be part of other insurances like that for fire.

It's ALWAYS a great idea for renters to have renter's insurance, but it would likely only cover him if for example, his stuff was damaged by the water leak. The leaking pipes are owned by the landlord, and so would not be covered under a renter's policy.

Over here, as a renter you need insurance to protect the house you rent against damage you might do to it. Like burning it down when making crème brulée.

Back