Watchtower (REMIX) (Hendrix cover)

That is a lot of fun to listen to. On poor (laptop) speakers, it sounded like it had no bass and the vocal lines were quiet. On better (but not great) speakers the bass was apparent and the vocals sounded right in the mix. I only mention this because so many people will listen on phones and other devices with poor bass response. A little bit of distortion/saturation on the bass line will make it pop on smaller speakers. The percussion is very crisp sounding, which really puts it out there, but I like all the interesting guitar stuff and might play with dropping the high hat down a db or 2 to let the guitar have a little more prominence. But seriously, it is great, very well done!

Reactions: TAE
What do you think - maybe a touch of automation on the quietest vocal bits to bring them up just a b-i-t? Sometimes it's just a syllable that sort of disappears, like on 'excited'. Sometimes it's a word. It's cuz of the way you sing, which I like a lot, but you sort of trail off sometimes on a sound. Tell you what - just forget I mentioned it. Everybody knows the lyrics to this one like the back of their hand.

Great cover. Recently I've been listening to Electric Ladyland a lot, and JW Harding too. Timely.

Hey , Thanks guys for the Great comments and suggestions , I'll for sure take them into account on the remix. I agree with you uncle sixer about the bass. It doesn't sound lacking on my monitors or cans , but it's like it's just sitting there with no real impact. Dobro , I've been told that before by a competent engineer about trailing off my vocals. He suggested riding the fader during mixdown to bring up the tails. I attempted it on some of the passages , but I'll readdress it with some automation. Good call . Thanks again .. mark

Reactions: TAE
It’s got just the right amount of ‘busyness’ going on. I mean there’s a lot of layering, interweaving guitar parts, all held together by a simple chord progression. The vocals are very soulful and accomplish the final gluing it all together.

I like it ! (y)

Winner winner chicken dinner! Such a cool song and Jimi's haunting little riff there that he added to Bobby D's version....
You done (y) good with this one mang!

Yeah, it's so good, isn't it? It always amazes me when people take on covers of great big famous songs. I mean, chances are you won't get c-l-o-s-e to what the original achieved and you'll come across like a pretender, so why would you put yourself in that position? But this one gets really close to the original, and because his vocal's so good, it adds its own flavor to the song. Big win.

Hey , here's a remix I've done using everybody's suggestions and multiple listens of my own. There's also quite a few subtle changes that probably wont be very obvious. Thank you for your help .. mark -The Soundcloud link at the top now reflects a final mix-

Last edited:
Your musical version is much closer to the Jimi version but it's kinda funny as I took a listen to the second round here I realized your voice is very similar to Dave Mason and then remembered he did a version of this too...

Your musical version is much closer to the Jimi version but it's kinda funny as I took a listen to the second round here I realized your voice is very similar to Dave Mason and then remembered he did a version of this too...

I saw him in Central Park around 1970? Waiting in line I happen to look over and see this old bum, kind of like Aqualung in a pair of shorts flashing his junk at all
the girls in line. I poke my buddy Hank and tell him check this out. He says why did you have to show me that and I said, I had to see it, it's only fair. Very good
show by the way. He did Watchtower, most of his single hits, some Traffic tunes, Pearly Queen etc. I have played Daves "version" of Watchtower on stage quite
often with a twist here and there. Also played "Headkeeper" in a few bands. His style and mine are pretty similar and I could cover his vocal range. I am pretty sure Hendix played it in C# minor. I wonder. if he did that because the relative major is E major?

Last edited:
Reactions: RFR
Back