"Wasted", finished last week, opinions welcome, all of your questions answered

nickaggs

"Wasted", finished last week, opinions welcome, all of your questions answered

I would appreciate your constructive comments on this song. It is outside of my normal sound, which in fact makes it fit perfectly within my normal sound spectrum. I just haven't gone here before I suppose.

Specific comments on production, mix, melody, songwriting, etc. are what I am hoping for. You don't have to comment on all of those, obviously.

I am eager to consume whatever nuggets of enlightened knowledge you might throw my way.

Thanks for stopping by! Please don't actually throw nuggets!:)

Lyrics are here if you become interested.

Wasted | Latent

I thought the guitars sounded real good. They're a bit loud. Bass sounds good too.

The vocal, at least in spots, gets covered a little by the guitars.

I wasn't a big fan of the drum sound. Kick is a little clicky. And the snare is a little slappy. Cymbals sounded OK.

I liked the vocal sound. It fit the song and mix well. Well performed.

I thought the guitars sounded real good. They're a bit loud. Bass sounds good too.

The vocal, at least in spots, gets covered a little by the guitars.

I wasn't a big fan of the drum sound. Kick is a little clicky. And the snare is a little slappy. Cymbals sounded OK.

I liked the vocal sound. It fit the song and mix well. Well performed.

Hi, TripleM! Thanks for the reply. Sorry I have been out of touch for...a day. :)

Were you listening on headphones or monitors? It makes no real difference, just wanted to try to hear things with fresh ears, and as close to the way you did as possible.

I will certainly re-evaluate the guitar volume. Sometimes, especially on a simple mix, I find getting the right balance difficult, especially when guitar is one of three instrument types under the vocals. You are likely correct.

I assume you are referring to the "live drum" sounds used in the bulk of the track as opposed to the loop sounds at the beginning and tail end. While I actually prefer a slappy snare, I am not a fan of the clicky kick, so I will check that out as well. Perhaps I should try a deeper, or rather larger, kick? I may try giving the snare a bit more snap, crack, and pop just to hear the difference. It may all come down to compression, meaning I may just have too much.

As far as cymbals go you said OK, but I felt it was more of a meh reaction. I could be wrong, but if you felt they could be improved, were you referring to brightness, sustain, volume, or the actual cymbals themselves, like size and tonality? My options aren't endless, but I have options on all of those fronts for changes.

Thanks about the vocals. I appreciate all of your input! :D

Back