Was Wondering

PG13

All i need For my Project Studio now is a Preamp was wonder whats the best Deal for a Preamp/Compressor/Eq (3 in 1 deal)
my Budget is $500.00 and Is that MQ3 any good i was thinking of getting that

Depends.

If you are recording digitally, the meek's compressor won't do anything to keep your signal from clipping - it's got a very slow attack time. Also, the eq is very usable, but not overly flexible. Both will impart their own sonic character that some will love and others will despise. The preamp section alone is pretty good and mostly neutral.

If it's vitally important to you to have all three in one package (preamp, compressor, eq), then I would have a look, possibly, at the Mindprint Envoice or some of the Focusrite models (Green or Platinum).

You have much better options if you can get by without the eq. Then, you could be looking at a combination of the DMP3 (M-audio preamp) and the RNC (compressor) for about $350. This will get you a pretty damn nice one-two punch for the money.

I would definitley look at the 386 if I needed a front end for, say, a multitrack recorder, or if my sound card had crappy a/d.

If you've already got decent a/d, then I don't think it's worth it. For the price, the preamp and compressor are both fairly decent, but the eq is pretty disappointing. But as a preamp / compressor and A/D converter, I'd think it would be tough to beat.

What about EQ?

Chess,

Assuming one went with your suggestion about the standalone pre and compressor, and decided at some later point to add eq, what eq would you recommend for that package?

PG13,

There are many knowledgeable people here who highly recommend the Great River stuff. I, unfortunately, am not a knowledgeable person in this area, just passing along what others say, whose opinions I respect.

Good luck.

Yea i Really want the 3 in 1 deal (Preamp, Compressor,EQ) un Software could do the EQ and Compression I use Nuendo 1.51 could the Sotware and the VST plugins stand in place of is Harware conterparts?

Vocal Producer? ehhh don't know much about that I just want a Preamp, Compressor and EQ all in one well all in one with a pre that has nice warmth and yes thats all I need for my Studio is the Preamp

Actually now that I think about how is that Vocal Producer
Im thinking of these

Vocal Producer

dbx 376

Joe meek MQ3

DBX 576 (seen it for $729.00)

It's a tough call . . .

I think my dream team would be a Soundcraft board with an RNC. That would give you about 4 solid preamps to play with, exceptional eq for the price, and a pro-quality compressor.

That combo might set you back more to the $700 range, though.

Almost forgot about the Symetrix, though. I'd almost be inclined to say the Symetrix 528 would be a solid choice for all three. And the beauty of it all is when you're ready to step it up a notch, you can send it to audio upgrades (www.audioupgrades.com) and have them beef up the preamp section.

You may even find that you're happy with the compressor. But if not, you can always bypass that in favor of the RNC, and still stay within the $500-$600 price range when all is said and done (ebay prices, that is).

Two more possibilities for ya:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=850576286

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail.php?itemid=EnVoice

Although I'm not sure if that's the best price you can get on the Envoice. My only problem with the dbx silver series is with the eq. It is a great deal, though, when you consider the a/d conversion is a step up from most, and the limiter is very good - comes in handy if you're recording digitally.

The Joemeek is solid. I love the sound, but the risk you're taking is that you might not like it. I do, but I certainly wouldn't want to use it on ALL of my tracks. And like I mentioned, the compressor sounds VERY cool - but it really is only good for four things: "too punchy," "way too punchy," "Whoa! Easy now," and too often "CLIP!" It isn't capable of limiting, which can be a neussance when recording digitally. It's awesome as an effect, but it doesn't exactly "compress" if you know what I'm saying. :)

Last edited:
thanx for all your help and yes that Envoice looks like it s a good deal I may just go for it again thanx for your help
~1~

Back