Warren Jeffs case

mshilarious

Banned
Well it's about to go to the jury. I can't help but thinking that there is a colossal flaw in the prosecution's case: if Jeffs is an accessory to rape, why haven't they charged the rapist, that is, the husband? It's not like he got immunity for his testimony; indeed, he testified for the defense.

And he even came across as a somewhat sympathetic figure, since his "wife" left him for another man. Somewhat tough to argue that the girl assented to the marriage for the term because she was worried about her salvation as a result of Jeffs, yet still was willing to commit adultery, at least in the FLDS perspective.

The entire case and polygamist community is a giant mess, but I can't help but thinking they got the wrong victim to try him. It's a he said/she said case, but they aren't trying the he . . . :confused: how can there not be reasonable doubt that Jeffs knew the girl was being raped rather than deciding of her own will to "do her duty" :confused:

Why couldn't they nail him on a simpler charge of accessory to polygamy? That would seem much more open and shut . . .

I haven't been following the trial but they had a lot of articles on him in the New Times while he was being hunted. They are probably going to go after him for tax evasion and fraud and all sorts of other things if this charge doesn't stick.

Can one be guilty of being a fugitive, even if he ends up being found not giulty? I figure there's got to be some punishment or law against refusing to turn yourself in, regardless of if you're guilty or not.

The prophet and the loss...

I wonder when the Civil Suit will start. The guy is purported to have some serious coin.

Well it's about to go to the jury. I can't help but thinking that there is a colossal flaw in the prosecution's case: if Jeffs is an accessory to rape, why haven't they charged the rapist, that is, the husband? It's not like he got immunity for his testimony; indeed, he testified for the defense.

And he even came across as a somewhat sympathetic figure, since his "wife" left him for another man. Somewhat tough to argue that the girl assented to the marriage for the term because she was worried about her salvation as a result of Jeffs, yet still was willing to commit adultery, at least in the FLDS perspective.

The entire case and polygamist community is a giant mess, but I can't help but thinking they got the wrong victim to try him. It's a he said/she said case, but they aren't trying the he . . . :confused: how can there not be reasonable doubt that Jeffs knew the girl was being raped rather than deciding of her own will to "do her duty" :confused:

Why couldn't they nail him on a simpler charge of accessory to polygamy? That would seem much more open and shut . . .

I believe that it is something to do with Utah law. Something to the effect that a 19 year old can have consensual sex with a 14 year old without it being considered rape even though the act would have been statutory rape. So if Jeffs told the girl to have sex then he would be guilty of being an accessory to rape even though the husband wouldn't have been. A bit confusing... somebody may be able to clarify this....

But the fact is that Jeffs forced a 14 year old into marriage that she didn't want and to have sex that she didn't want. Chuck him into jail and I am sure he is going to come to realise what unwanted sexual intercourse is all about. Hopefully that will make him reconsider his dogmatic views... Maybe Bubba will make Jeffs one of his 70 wives. Now that would be poetic justice...

Back