Warping samples of multiple tracks

Kryptik

Does anybody know how to do this in SX3?

When you have to stretch a drum fill and all the stretches for each track need to be syncronized, how is this done? I know I've checked the manual and online help in the past and neither gave me more than 25% of an answer.

This has been driving me nuts. :confused:

Kryptik said:
all the stretches for each track need to be syncronized

When you say "each track" you talking about just the drum tracks. I think if you make sure the start and end points for each section of track to be stretched are exactly the same and you use the exact same amount of time stretch for each one, they should stay lined up.

If you're talking about other tracks, I would have to know more about what you're trying to do.

I guess it's been a few days so you probably already figured something out, but I just thought I'd bump the thread in case you haven't.

I am not on SX3 so I don't know how well the time warp thing works on drum tracks, but in my experience time stretching doesn't work very well with percussive sounds as it messes with the transients. You'd be better off using hitpoints to slice them up and change the timing of each hit that way.

noisewreck said:
I am not on SX3 so I don't know how well the time warp thing works on drum tracks, but in my experience time stretching doesn't work very well with percussive sounds as it messes with the transients. You'd be better off using hitpoints to slice them up and change the timing of each hit that way.

Noisewreck is right. I've never once used time stretch. I'm sure it might work for non-drum parts, but I've never had the need to use it on those because I can just comp something in there. Drums are the only thing I've been tempted to try time stretch on as they can't be comped easily because they are the the first thing layed down and I don't use click tracks. But the one time I thought "hey I'll use this time stretch thingy", the way the drums resonated sounded bad right off and I went, "yikes" and never used it again. Quantizing drums manualy with editing is a pain in the ass - the first time I did it, it was hell - but it's the best sounding option.

all that aside about whether or not it's a good idea to do...

use the range selector tool. it's the thing up top that looks like a dotted line rectangle. with that you can select sections of one or all the wavs in your project. when you have the section(s) selected (the sections you select will turn light blue) then you can edit them all together with the timestretch.

Back