Warming up tracks

Stephen Jones

Hey all.
I am currently mastering a song that sounds a little on the "cold" side - not enough high-highs in the mix and maybe not enough bass as well. It was done in 16-bit (there were a lot of tracks used).
I'm finding that with the EQs I have here (Sound Forage 4.5, Cakewalk 8.04) it sounds really harsh when I push the highs up. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can add some nice ethereal high frequencies? (ie - the higher frequencies of cymbals and above) I know this is the "great mystery" of digital recording, but I'm guessing some of you must have some neat tricks.
Thanks,
stephen

Sound Forage
:D

The pros would tell you to send it off to the mastering house...

There are a few suites of plugins specifically designed for Mastering. Izotope Ozone is the latest...

I haven't even TRIED to master anything yet, I'm still learning to record, and mix. :eek:

Queue

Stephen...

You can't use EQ to add frequencies that aren't there in the first place.... whether you use s/w or h/w-based recording...

From what you describe, it sounds like it wasn't tracked properly and too much "fix it in the mix" attitude happened....

So you are in "rescue" mode on your mix now - you could try an exciter of some flavour to sweeten a bit, but you're probably going to have to bite your tongue, accept the lesson experience taught you and track it properly next time...........

Bruce

I've been using ozone since it came out... and think that for the price its great. I'm still learning like everyone else, but found that when I got my mix sounding as good as I could with the Cakewalk effects, the ozone really gave things a lot more sparkle and clarity. Its kinda easy to overdo things... so you really have to just play around with it... I haven't used waves or T-racks , but I don't think I'd need anything else with ozone.

There is a new one out that people are saying compares favorably to Fatso, only in a plug-in format. Supposedly its a resource hog, but the very high end plug-ins always are. I'm gonna go hunt down the name, I'll be back with it shortly.
I've used the Steinberg Mastering stuff, and its not bad, the "warming" plug, whatever its called, is pretty decent.

yea i dled that plug in didn't mess wit it cuz the demo version every 30 seconds a 1sec signal drop happens, i'm like whats the point....I have All the Sonic Time Works Plugins...and those joint are resource HOGS...when recording @ 24/96khz each time i add an effect i must apply it to be safe

anyone else use that vintage warmer joint?

Back