Wanting to get the best bang for my buck

monkeyboy32

Hello HR forum folks:

I'm in the preliminary research for building my very own home recording system and wanted to get some input on the more experienced home recording engineers out there. . .

I want to integrate this with my current PC. Here are my specs:

Dell Comuter w/ Windows XP Home edition
Intel 2.4 Ghz CPU
512 MB RAM
Single 40 Gig HD
CD-RW Drive 40/32R/24RW (?, approx. specs for CD-ROM)
EIDE/PCI busus

. . . That's probably all you need to know. I'm looking for a sound card/a-d converter/multi-tracking software bundle that won't cost me too much without totally sacrificing my sound quality. Of course, my front runner (at least the package I most know about)is the Digi 001/Pro Tools bundle. Am I going in the right direction here, or is there a better product in about the same price range? My only requirement so far is that I want to record several live analog tracks at once, minumum 8 inputs. Also, this doesn't necessarily NEED to be a bundled package; maybe some of you out there have had good results with components from differnet manufactures. . . if so, please tell me!

Also, am I better off (given the above setup) using a stand-alone multi-input mic preamp without a phyical mixer (using the software one instead), or am I better off using a mixer with built-in mic preamps? Right now, I'm kinda leaning toward a SMPro Audio SM PR8 Eight-Channel Mic Pre-Amp. What do ya think?

Thank you for any input you can give me.

Im not sure how the Dells stand up to audio recording but it may do just fine. I would suggest a second HD for audio only.
Im not a pro-tools fan so I would say NO.
Perhaps the Delta 1010 or Lt audio interface.
And a mixer is always good to have around.
Software ? I would first try some demos to see what suits you best before you invest.

Thanks Stealthtech, your info is appreciated. Yeah, I also have been checking out the M-Audio stuff, too. Never heard it put to use, but reading a lot of good reviews (and cheaper, too). Again, thanks.

now keep in mind I do not OWN this set up, but bang for buck, I would investigate the STaudio C-Port 2000 package with a mackie vlz pro 1402 mixer. With the c-port, you get eight 1/4" inputs and two xlr preamps. The Mackie includes six preamped inputs that would feed into the ADC&DAC2000 breakout box.

here are the data sheets for the two products.

http://www.staudio.com/products/dsp2000/info.html

http://www.mackie.com/record/1402vlzpro/index.html

this is an alternative to the Digi001. The plusses are you have an analog mixer of solid reputation with sliding faders and it's 24/96, which I don't believe the 001 offers. The downside is you don't get a bundled software.

But...that also might be a good thing. ProTools has a way of making everything proprietary. Good quality, but proprietary. I'd investigate Cakewalk Sonar 2 XL (lotsa audio ins and midi capabilities) or Cubase VST which I have not tried but is also thought of highly.

then there are microphones...and headphones...and monitors...and cables...and outboard gear......aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh....

ok. you get the idea.

stone

I also forgot to mention. Tom Hicks, a fellow board member, has some great examples of work he's done with the C-Port package.

do a search for his stuff or drop him a pm asking how it is if you like what you see.

stone

Back