Want to record upcoming Jam

Raymeous

Hello folks.

Over the last couple of years I have hosted a few parties/jam sessions for my Carvin BBS friends, but this year I want to try and record it into Pro Tools. We'll be jamming in my garage and I have no illusions that this will sound "amazing"; I just want to record it, do a little bit of "post-cleanup" and stick it on the forum for those that couldn't make it. This will more than likely be a standard instrumental rock band set up of 5pc kit, bass, and a couple of guitars. This is also going to be my first attempt at this sort of project.

So I'm looking to mic the kit with:
AKG D112 or Audix F12 on the kick
Shure SM57 on the snare
A pair of MXL 840's for L&R overheads

For the bass we'll be using the DI from my bass amp. For the guitars I'll be using the DI's or slappin' a trio of Carvin M67's (think Shure Beta 57 clones) on the cabinets. While some of the amps may have a DI I doubt they all will so I'll be dealing with the kit and guitars bleeding into eachother.

The garage opens to the east with the door into the house on the west. There is a full length counter and row of cabinets down the north wall. I'll be placing my iMac and interface (Presonus 181vsl) on the counter with a dinky set of monitors (for playback only). The kit will be in the north west end facing out towards the south east and the big door. The amps will be along the southern wall aimed at the kit. Hopefully I can keep it at reasonable volumes and not have to deal with any of those guys that think they're playing the colosseum.

I'm thinking that hanging some blankets off of the garage door track rails might help with the reflections a bit, but it will make things much tighter and a heck of a lot warmer in there. Those darn water heaters. :facepalm:

The Question:
So other than area rugs on the floor, and pulling the overhead mics a little closer to the kit, can you think of anything else I need to consider?

Hi Raymeous I'm a member of the Carvin BSS as well. I think that you might be better off close mic'ing the drums and not using overheads. Also I wouldn't point the guitar amps toward the drums. I'd set the drums up at the back of the garage facing east and set up the amps further forward along the north and south walls pointing inward like side fill monitors. That would reduce much of the bleed between the drums and the amps because guitar speakers are highly directional. I'll be looking forward to hearing your recordings.

When I track our band practices, I use a D-112 on kik, a MD-441 for snare and an AM-52 in figure 8 as a mono overhead and tight mics on everything else (57's). Leakage is pretty minimal and the figure 8 overhead does a pretty decent job of rejecting stuff coming in on its null point. I get very usable recordings.

Back