Want to record 4 tracks simultaneously using Motu Traveler and external hard drive

waigy

Hey Man

I want to record 4 separate tracks simultaneously at 24bit/44.1khz using my excellent Motu traveler.
I want a cheap (£300 max), quiet and portable solution.
I can do this no problem using my laptop, but my laptop makes a lot of noise and is a hassle to setup as it needs to be in a different room from the microphones.
I want to record myself playing live (acoustic guitar and voice) at various (folk clubs, sessions e.t.c.).
Could I do this using an external hard drive that has a firewire input, and if so, would the hard drive store the data as 4 separate tracks/wav files?

Maybe this drive?
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11263389&am p;search=mybook&Mo=4&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top _search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S& N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Te xt_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=myboo k&Ntt=mybook&No=2&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N ty=1&topnav=&s=1

I only really need to temporarily store the recordings till I get home where I can upload the data into my PC, but I do want to keep the quality at 100 percent so tape or minidisk e.t.c. are not an option.
The traveler also has ADAT optical, AES/EBU and S/PDIF (both TOSLink and RCA) outputs.

Cheers Man

Sure you can.

I use a Glyph firewire drive daisy-chained to my 828mkII (same guts & drivers as your Traveler). You WANT to use an external drive for recording as nearly all laptop internal drives are much slower and you want to be recording to an independent drive.

Its your sequencer that'll store the tracks separately. You don't say what you're using, but they all work the same; put up the tracks and point each one to a different input.... and away you go.

Hi Tim

Thanks for the reply, I don't think I've made my request clear enough.
I want to do this without my laptop because of the laptop's fan noise.
I want the audio to go from the traveler straight onto a hard drive or flash e.t.c. (or a recorder of some kind) as 4 separate tracks (24bit/44.1khz or 96khz) that I can upload to my pc or laptop later.
The sound devices 744T does what I want, but at around £3000 it's not an option.

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/744t.htm

Also, my laptop's hard drive manages 4 tracks at 24bit 44.1khz no problem, I recorded my latest cd using that setup.

Back