want to get home at a decent hour??

barger

I spend hours on end tweaking my condeser mike's. don't get me wrong, I think they are crisp and tasty!! but I got a day job(on call 24/7), a girlfriend, and I would actually like to "record something" when Im in my studio.
I have found a quick fix to all my "drum" problems and I thought I would like to share with you a few tips. I found that if I record with all dynamic mic's I will get home at a decent hour. This , of course , is if you have not already set up your studio. Then I apoligize :). quick set up in 1 hour:
snare-sm57
bottom snare-sm57
toms- all sm57s
kick- beta 52, d112, d-6 :D whatever you got!!
overheads 2xsm58's :eek: thats right I said it!!!!
all drums kick, snare, toms, compression 4:1 at 2 o'clock at both attack and release times(If you have the 266xl) if not go slow on both. keep threshhold at -6db. keep overheads dry and set them -6db to your digital recorder, if you have an analog go crazy!!!!:D DRUMS DONE!!!!!

Last edited:
panning

Another thing to try is to pan the overheads 100% right and 100% left. sorry guitarist you only get 50% right and left :mad:. Hey Im a guitarist and I had to learn the hard way. I know alot of you know this, but for the new people this might help them. This will take place in the 2nd hour of recording.
The topic of experimental miking might come up in your recording session. This might take all night if you are not carefull. Keep it simple!! set overheads 18 inches off your highest cymbal and 5 feet apart. If you go crazy you might go out of phase with your mic's. X-Y might be another option. Most Important!! RECORD YOUR MUSIC!!!!

Back