Walls, Floors and ceilings? Cheapest way to get a good sounding room?

music_man

I know there is similar posts but none seem to say whats the cheapest way to get the best sound from a spare room turned into a studio? is there really that much of a difference between a normal room and a room that has been "acoustically treated"?

FLOOR
What should the floors have, carpet or wooden floor and why?

Any other important factors for the floor?
WALLS
What do you do with the walls and why?

CEILINGS
Is there really any need to do anything with the ceilings?

Im just looking for as much info about this process as possible, thanks for you help:confused:

Floor: wood is probably a good choice. You don't want to treat the floor because as humans every sound we hear, we hear in relation to the ground, so subconsciously there is something more natural about having a reflective floor.

Walls: For tracking, you want a combination of reflective and absorbent areas, for mixing, you want absorption at your first reflection points, which would be the walls and ceiling between you and your monitors. You also will want bass traps, particularly in the 90 degree corners where the walls meet.

Ceiling: Same as walls, you want a cloud above the mixing position, and probably a cloud above the tracking area, especially if you are recording doing drums.

However, to know exactly what your room needs, you need to get Room EQ Wizard, to find out what your problem frequencies are and go from there.

And yes, there is a big difference between an untreated room and a treated one. And to answer your question about doing it inexpensively; buy some OC703 and make your own panels. Otherwise, companies like GIK have some good room packages.

Yep, I'm with you. I treated my room and had fantastic results in comparison to when it was un-treated.

Someone suggested that I mearure it with REW and, well, I still go back and tackle that task every now and then but I 'aint got there yet!

+1 on Jlewis' advice. That's exactly how I treated my room, with more effort needed on the diffused reflection. Bass is your biggest problem in a square room.

Cheers,
FM

(Aussie Aussie Aussie.......)

Sorry Rami, now it looks like you resurrected an old thread. But you do have the quote in there, so future generations will know you were replying to something. :o

No problemo Chili.:cool:

Well, it had been resurrected 2 posts before mine. But I don't know if November 2010 really counts as a resurrection. 4 months? That's a tough one. :)

carpets would be the cheapest but not efficient solucion, depnds on what u after, a pro studio or just personal usage amateur one

Back