Wall plates on one side, but on the other side ???

RaGe

Hi gang, i've been digging through the archives here but did not find a definitive answer (if such thing exist).

I understand the concept of having a wall plate with female XLR's on the studio side and connecting the plugs to either your mic pre's or a patchbay for better flexibility. The step I am missing is how you get thru the control room's wall.

How do you seal those cables there (we talking about 20 lines) to prevent leakage? I was thinking of maybe puching holes in a piece of cork ...

Would it be a better alternative to have another wall plate + connectors on the control room's side?

Anyone kind enough to post a picture of their method?

Thanks a bunch!

...Would it be a better alternative to have another wall plate + connectors on the control room's side?

That's what I'm planning on doing in my studio.
The two wall plates would have separate but sealed boxes between them, loosely stuffed with insulation. You could even place some baffles inside the box, between the 2 wall plates, route the short connecting cables thru that and seal the holes that go thru the baffle.
I doubt the xlr connections are going to leak sound, rather the problem would lie where the connections mount to the wall plate itself.
Seal the back side, and it should be ok.
I think.

Look at pictures 3, 4, and 5 here:
http://www.johnlsayers.com/Studio/Pages/Snapper2.htm
and imagine something like that on each side.

Ah! Exactamundo. Thanks Michael!
What about the other alternative of having the cables going thru the wall directly without a wall plate, anyone done that?

The wall plate is really just a place to connect the cover,
since mics are all low voltage, you don't need the
box or the plate except for looks (check with your
local Electrical code to be sure).

How about a snake or two? You can either lay
the head on the floor, or bolt it to the wall,
run just one fat wire for 16 or so mic lines.

Be sure not to back up two wall plates with
just a little air between them. Much better to
make them be misaligned by a couple of feet
so that the sound doesn't flow thru easily.

A lot of the serious studios that I've seen have
plates of XLRs, like you suggest, in the recording room,
and then run the snakes under the floor of the control
room and up inside the console or rack.
So there really is no "control room side" to
be ugly.

fishtop, i get your point but i was considering not floating the control room as i never ever monitor loud ...
OTOH floating the whole space would at least allow me to run cable ducts ... mmm ... decisions, decisions ...

Here is a wild off-the wall idea. Have them be off the wall

Any time you have nearly back-to-back boxes hou have a noise path through your otherwise solid walls.

And having wires run from a single point in the wall across the floor is always something to trip over.

So have the connectors be in the ceiling, or hanging from the ceiling to about eight feet high, at strategic points in the room. Then up above the ceiling, across, and then down at some appropriate corner of the control room. A much less direct path for the sound and one that could have multiple sound blocking barriers.

BTW I am not a studio designer, but I am an architect.

Back