Wall of Sound... i want it

Are you referring to a digital signal processor??? Looking for dsp's with great 'verbs etc. Try and be more specific.

The wall of sound you can hear with bands like Hum or the Smashing Pumpkins. Mostly interested in effects and pickups.

[This message has been edited by Spinning Slowly (edited 04-17-2000).]

It's all in the cement you use... you gotta mix it up well to get a good strong wall. Also make it sure it's level... don't want it falling over and killing people :D

[This message has been edited by Cooperman (edited 04-18-2000).]

Phil Spector created the Wall of Sound by recording layers of instruments on top of each other...he also used massive doses of reverb...that's a pretty simplistic way of describing what he did, but actually it WAS pretty simple, it's just that nobody had thought of it before....now to get that sound, there are things that can be added to his concept, like doubling...and using other effects along with reverb....of course, yer ears have to be yer guide..things can get pretty muddy when over-effected....just experiment....gibs

It seems to me that the the parts you're playing are more important than equip. The other guitarist and I tried to rarely play the same thing unless the doubled guitar would really add some thrust to that particular part. You'll notice that most Hum and SP stuff isn't just power chords. That said, I've read that billy corgan has about a dozen stomp boxes in-line at any given time and Matt from Hum has 2 Boss DS-1's (I think this will cause mostly feedback if they're on at the same time)and a couple random pedals between a humbucker and a big beautiful Orange amp. It also helps if you have a cymbal crazy drummer.-lzb

You're right Gibs... the "wall of sound" was just a fancy name for a wall of mud.

Hix...you are incorrigible.

And Cooperman, you need a good spanking from Kylie.

And Gibs...you're just an old fart like me so whatever you say doesn't matter :)

[This message has been edited by monty (edited 04-18-2000).]

Yer right Monty, they all think we're prehistoric...just because we're pre-digital and remember the crap that people like Spector put out...gibs :D

Actually, Phil Spector was the first thing I thought of when I read the topic. Or was that Phil Sphincter? This old age is rotting my memory. Or is that mammary? Damn, where's my diapers.

Back