wall mounted guitar stands

Nicole_Rose

Great White North Girl
we bought two wall mounts for our guitars. we mounted one on an inside wall and one on an outside wall. and my friend darrel tells me that guitars mounted on an outside facing wall will warp due to the cold. is this true?

well, if its not insulated well, i suppose the weather could play a factor, but if its insulated well i cant see it hurting much, as long as you keep the room at a good temp and humidity.

If the room is subject to rapid temperature changes or variations in humidity, neither place is a good choice. Gradual temperature changes rarely cause warping, sudden temp changes can cause finish damage. Constant humidity (slightly on the damp side) is what is essential to prevent warping. The outside wall may be more likely to have temperature variations which might cause a guitar to detune but is not likely to cause any more serious of a problem. BTW are you hanging electric or acoustic guitars? Solid body electrics aren't affected as much by slight temp changes so are safe on outside walls, acoustic guitars might do better on the inside wall.

I've had a custom 6 guitar hanger my wife surprised me with for 3 to 4 years now-and mounted on an outside wall-and the only thing I've experienced is the tuning going off a bit. These are all solid bodies for the most part but I think your Gibson Goddess will be ok. Wait....I forgot you are in a Canadian climate-you might want to remount that hanger for the Goddess to a warmer wall!

Attachments

• GtrrackwithEpi-2.jpg
    GtrrackwithEpi-2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
I think for electrics, you don't have to worry about them quite as much. But I left my Seagull acoustic out for a couple of years like that and ended up with a cracked top (due to temp/humidity changes) - it got fixed just fine. But it sits in the case at all time now.

I have several elect on hangers like that for years on end with no ill effects (well, they do get dusty).

I think for electrics, you don't have to worry about them quite as much. But I left my Seagull acoustic out for a couple of years like that and ended up with a cracked top (due to temp/humidity changes) - it got fixed just fine. But it sits in the case at all time now.

I have several elect on hangers like that for years on end with no ill effects (well, they do get dusty).

Is your Seagull cedar? Mine is, and I have to keep it in the case (with the humidifier) all the time as well. I know the cedar is softer, but I've never had a guitar "move" so much.

Narcissists hang guitars on walls musicians put 'em back in the case or on a floor stand.:rolleyes:

Well then, maybe I'm a narcissist, but I was going the floor stand route, and I was running out of floor space. I've got 15--and between me and others who join me in the studio, 9 or 10 of 'em get played regularly, so they almost never made it back to the cases. The wall hangers have really helped me re-claim my floor space.

I'm running out of floor space and thought about wall hangers - but with all the panels of OC for treatment I have less wall space than floor space:confused: Unless I hung one guitar between each panel - but then I'd still end up with several on the floor.

I find having them out (vs. in cases) speeds up my recording - since I can quickly grab the guitar I want to record without going in the closet and moving cases around until I find the right axe.

While I agree that a decently insulated outer wall should not be a big concern - if I had a choice, I would hang solid body electrics on an outer wall and hang the acoustics on an inner wall (assuming the room has enough humidity so that cases are not needed).

good thread...

I've been pondering the same thing about hangin my guit-buckets. I've always just kept em in the case due to reading other threads about this. But I've noticed I play more when I leave them out.

Lazy, I guess...:p

And, like Mike, it speeds up da recording part havin em sit out.

I use both the floor stands and the wall hangers. The problem with my set-up is that I'm afraid the kids will trip over the ones on the floor. But the flip side is if the kids are throwing stuff around or wrestling, they could slam up against either one.

My "studio" has two always hanging and then two on the floor stands when I'm actively recording. So both are pretty handy for my application.

I've had a custom 6 guitar hanger my wife surprised me with for 3 to 4 years now-and mounted on an outside wall-and the only thing I've experienced is the tuning going off a bit. These are all solid bodies for the most part but I think your Gibson Goddess will be ok. Wait....I forgot you are in a Canadian climate-you might want to remount that hanger for the Goddess to a warmer wall!

That's cool! Where did she get it?

I use hardward store plastic-dipped tool hangers. Cheap, work great.

we bought two wall mounts for our guitars. we mounted one on an inside wall and one on an outside wall. and my friend darrel tells me that guitars mounted on an outside facing wall will warp due to the cold. is this true?

Outside walls can be a problem, but the bigger problem is humidity issues. If you live in a cold climate, it is basically impossible to keep the humidity high enough for your guitars. Guitars want to live (or at least sleep) in a 45% humidity environment, but if it is below freezing outside the moisture in the air will start to condense out on your windows at about 30%, which causes two problems: first, your guitars do not get the kind of humidity they need; and second, all that moisture runs down the windows, into your woodwork, and ruins you windows. At colder temperatures, all that moisture starts to condense inside your exterior walls, causing studs to rot and exterior paint to peal. Excessive humidity in your house is a serious structural problem.

As nice as it is to have your guitars out in the open, there is no way to maintain them properly in the winter when your guitars are on stands or hangers. If you want your instruments to last (and you want to avoid some pretty serious repair bills), you MUST keep your guitars in their cases when you are not playing them. It also protects them from kids and pets, which are two of the other leading causes of major repair bills.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back