Wall foam question

Mind Riot

I have enough money to get a certain amount of square feet of foam. I can get a certain amount of 3" thick foam or I can get more of some 2" thick foam.

My room is already sufficiently bass trapped (four inches of sandwiched fiberglass in five out of eight corners).

So what I'm wondering is, for mids and highs should I worry more about getting thicker foam that covers less area or a bit thinner foam that covers more area?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Don't bother with foam at all. For less money get some 2 inch or so semi-rigid fiberglass panels for the side walls. That will work better than the foam.

Innovations said:
Don't bother with foam at all. For less money get some 2 inch or so semi-rigid fiberglass panels for the side walls. That will work better than the foam.

I already have fiberglass on the walls but the panels are covered in plastic, thus reflecting a bit of highs. I don't know where to find fiberglass panels that are already covered with fabric for a decent price and that are hangable, and I'm not going to get into covering them myself as a project. Do you know where I could get some fabric covered fiberglass panels for a good price?

Essentially my question is should I go for better coverage with thinner material or thicker material with less coverage? Whether it be foam or fiberglass, that's my question.

If you can wrap a christmas present you can cover a pile of 703 panels in fabric.

Covered in plastic? Is this something you built yourself or bought? It sounds like a strange construction for an absorber.

Use either, just identify the trouble spots in your room ( measure wall to wall, use the formula of speed of sound and distance between walls to identify troubling freq. ), and spot treat. You could also try a floating wall ( considering you seem resourceful) However, padding the whole wall does look cooler.

resination808 said:
Use either, just identify the trouble spots in your room ( measure wall to wall, use the formula of speed of sound and distance between walls to identify troubling freq. ), and spot treat. You could also try a floating wall ( considering you seem resourceful) However, padding the whole wall does look cooler.

The room is 8' by 11' with an 8' ceiling, just an awful set of dimensions for a room. At least the third dimension isn't a multiple of 8'.

Running the calculations shows that the two same dimensions result in a strong room mode at about 71 hz and of course it's multiples. The third dimension results in a weaker mode at 51 hz and it's multiples.

I knew all this before doing the bass traps, and the bass trapping is pretty much handled. Actually, if I get some foam for the walls I'll take the fiberglass panels that won't be on the walls anymore and either thicken up the existing bass traps or make two more of them.

I guess I'm just wondering whether I should make the room more 'live' by covering less area or make it more dead by covering more.

I'm thinking I'll probably go for covering more area with thinner foam, but then when I think that I wonder if some of the lower mids will be left unchecked.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! This stuff can drive you mad. :eek:

Back