Waiting is the hardest part!

OzNimbus

Nearly finished.... NEARLY damnit! Hopefully I'll be doing my load-in this weekend.
We made one change, and that would be changing the soffit face from cloth-covered insulation to cloth covered plywood. Many thanks to John for straightening me out on that one.
I'll post some pics on my site with the gear.. but until then, here's a teaser:

Attachments

• control room front.jpg
    control room front.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 112
And finally, the rear hangars/bass trap. These are still under construction, but we're going with two rows 4 feet high, of varying depths.
My construction guy came up with the idea of spearing the insulation with a thin dowel (we used a pencil sharpener, belive it or not!), as opposed to gluing the stuff to fiberboard. It's a bit of an experiment, but preliminary tests have been VERY favourable.
Essentially, we wanted to keep the weight down, and let them swing as the volume level increases.

Attachments

• hanger1.jpg
    hanger1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 100
Looks pretty damn good to me sir!

A couple of questions:
What height, to the bottom of the frame, are the soffit mounts at?

What's that space above the soffits that looks like empty frames?

How did you decide on 4' for the height of your bass traps?

Just curious, I just started my soffit mounts last week. ;)

Michael Jones said:

What height, to the bottom of the frame, are the soffit mounts at?

What's that space above the soffits that looks like empty frames?

How did you decide on 4' for the height of your bass traps?

1) soffit mounts are at ear level. I could have raised them up & angled them, but then you run into all kinds of floor reflection problems.

2) the space above the soffits are made of cloth covered plywood, and the cavity behind is filled with insulation.

3) The bass trap is 8 feet high. we're using two sets of four footers so they're easier to build... not to mention they'll swing easier.

OzNimbus said:

2) the space above the soffits are made of cloth covered plywood, and the cavity behind is filled with insulation.

No, I mean these:
What are those 2 "frames" for??

Thanks for the reply!

Attachments

• oz.jpg
    oz.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 77
Oh, those are merely decoration... to break up the large panel of light brown. They're only cloth surrounded by a little molding.

Back