VX2000 Ultravoice Pro Problem

DABZ

well, heres the deal, i used to record at my parents house, and the quality was good, obviously not amazing, but i liked it.

then i moved all my recording stuff to my own house, and i had a friend help me set all my gear up, and he just went flying around and playing with my prefered settings on the preamp. now i dont have the same sound, its all distorted, so dull, so bland, voice sounds swamped abit, and i dont remember my settings from before.

I've messed with the settings alittle, and sounds better but its still not the same.

anyone got any tutorials, or tips on how to get the best sound out of this? which should be set to what etc...

i understand it depends on what kind of music, and type of vocals your trying to achieve.

but im willing to try any settings on this thing to make it better.

thanks for any help.

Hi, I'm not a pro at this but I think it would help those who are if you listed what kind of gear you're using besides the VX2000 Ultravoice Pro. Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, either- but here's a general approach that always seems to help me.

I set EVERYTHING to zero. Then I add whatever there is to add, until I begin to not like what I hear. I back off a bit, and move to the next control...

When done with that, I take careful notes of what I have, and go to the manuals and look for a recommneded or suggested setting for something close to what I am trying to do. Then I go up and down on each setting, till I am happy.

I have read, and it is great advise, to step away from the process, literally and completly. Go do something else. Then come back to it. Your ears have had a chance to "empty themselves out" of what you were hearing, so you can listen to it fresh.

This has helped on guitar amp settings, multi-effects units settings, recording units, everything.

I agree with starting at zero. Mic pres that have noise gates, compression, eq etc. can be hard to tame and often the source material may not need any or all of the processing.

Anytime I use a mic pre/channel strip - I start with everything neutral and then bring up one process at a time (maybe start with just the noise gate - then take that out of the signal chain and turn on the compression, etc). As a general rule - less is better with most processing (unless you are going for some specific effect.

Because no one knows what sound source you may encounter know do we know what the rest of your signal chain may be - there is no effective way to offer specific settings.

Back