VTB-1 improvement over Q10 pres?

Tekker

Just like the title says, is the VTB-1 a decent improvement over the Aardvark Q10 pres? I tried doing a search here but there wasn't much comparing these two. Someone said it was better for bass recording, but they hadn't tried it on vocals yet.

Vocals are the main thing I'm concerned about as that is what records the worst. lol I have a Rode NT2 and an AKG Vienna that I use for vocals and both sound very harsh in the high end. I've tried all kinds of different mic placements including angling it sideways to having the singer singing slightly to the side of the mic with not much improvement... So it's gotta be something in the Q10, either the preamps or the A/D converters. Right now I'm tackling the preamp theory as I don't have enough to replace both at the moment. So would the VTB-1 be an improvement? I'm looking at getting two, so I can use them for stereo guitar miking also.

From what I have read here, the DMP3 sounds pretty similiar to the Q10, so I'm thinking the VTB-1 will be the better choice. Thoughts and comments are welcome.... :cool:

-tkr

Back