Vst

BloodShark

Can anyone throw some light on VST plugins for me? What it is, how it works, etc.

Links to related articles would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any reply! :D

VST is basically 3rd party virtual instruments that are designed to work with multitudes of programs as plug-in instruments or effects.

How does one get set up to use VST plugins? I use Cakewalk 9 on XP and am easily able to download DX plugins. But for now the VST plugins I got just sit there.

EddieRay said:
How does one get set up to use VST plugins? I use Cakewalk 9 on XP and am easily able to download DX plugins. But for now the VST plugins I got just sit there.
The software needs to support it. If it does there is probably a VST folder within Cakewalk and possibly an enabler for VST plug-ins that needs to be active or enabled.

Cakewalk does not support VST without a "wrapper". You can purchase an excellent VST Wrapper from Cakewalk for about $40.

Ed

Cool Edit Pro 2.1...

I'm not trying to hijack this thread or anything, but does anyone know if Cool Edit Pro 2.1 (n.k.a. Adobe Audition) supports VST? I'm interested in VST stuff but am still very much in the dark about it.

Re: Cool Edit Pro 2.1...

overseas said:
I'm not trying to hijack this thread or anything, but does anyone know if Cool Edit Pro 2.1 (n.k.a. Adobe Audition) supports VST? I'm interested in VST stuff but am still very much in the dark about it.

No, it does not. It does support DirectX plug-ins. You'd have to get a VST-to-DirectX wrapper and use VST plug-ins.

VST is basically 3rd party virtual instruments that are designed to work with multitudes of programs as plug-in instruments or effects.

That definition is a bit muddy. VST is a particular framework for adding extra functionality to audio programs that support it. That is, programmers can use the VST specification to write code that extends the functionality of VST-compliant hosts. There are basically two forms that this takes -- effects (signal processing) and virtual instruments (a.k.a. VSTi).

So VST is not the effects themselves or the instruments themselves but the way that they get hooked into host programs. The core part of the code is (or should be) independent from the way it communicates with the host -- that's how Antares, to pick an example, can easily make AutoTune plug-ins for VST, DirectX, RTAS, and other plug-in architectrures.

Back