VST wrappers

Bullet Days

i'm looking for tips on the "proper" way to install dxi's and vst's using the vst wrapper. i just think my way was too messy, like i feel i have folders located where they shouldn't be.

i see that sonar has two folders called "shared dxi" and "shared plugins" under the cakewalk folder (which also contains sonar 3's folder). when i install the self-extracting files like native instruments, i pretty much just follow defaults (next, next, next...). but those zipped files that extract "dll's" like the ones you find free through googling them, i'm not sure where to put. do they go on the shared plugins folder (and in their own folder, or mixed with the other dll's in that folder)? also, when i run the vst wrapper that came with sonar, and it's asking me if i want the item as a dxi or just enabled, how come there's no "automatic" option and just have the installer decide what's best for that item? isn't it redundunt to have both "enabled" and "dxi" options checked for each item? it's either a plugin or an insertable dxi synth.

i don't know, i just sometimes feel overwhelmed when there's too many options available. i'm horrible at buffets.

Direct X effect plugin may have their own installation folder, but be sure to always put VST dll into C:\Program files\Steinberg\VstPlugins. You can create sub-folder under that directory anyway.
Generaly, there's two type of plugin. Audio effect plugin (DirectX or VST), or "instrument" plugin (DXi or VSTi). If the plugin is audio effect, then you don't have to enable it as DXi. If it's "instrument" which you will need MIDI to use it, then enable it as DXi. FYI, some audio plugin which is controlable via MIDI can be enabled as DXi. Doing so, you can control effect parameter using MIDI (for example: ReValver).

;)
Jaymz

thanks james, i found the steinberg folder, but it was on c:\program files\cakewalk\shared dxi\steinberg\vst plugins. i don't know how it got there, maybe i moved it there, i don't know. does it matter exactly where the vst plugin folder is located so long as the dll's are all in that folder?

Bullet Days said:
does it matter exactly where the vst plugin folder is located so long as the dll's are all in that folder?

Not realy, I mean Steinberg liked to simplify directory structure. Since VST plugins are shareable among applications, they tend to use C:\Program files\Steinberg\VstPlugins as one stop dll folder. In fact, every VST plugins we tried to install always use that folder as default. There's probably many many dll's in Program files subdirectory used by many application. Collecting only VST plugins' dll in specific folder can make the wrapper search faster :)

;)
Jaymz

Back