VS880EX -> computer

I'm finally done recording my first song on my VS880EX!!!!! I want to send it to my friend, so I wanna know how to get it on the computer? Is that even the best way? I don't have a cd burner. Is there some kind of special connection I need? Or do I need a specific program? I'm completely ignorant of all this computer stuff so please help me!!!!

I'm guessing you want to get it to the computer as a wav file and create an MP3 to send to your friend? What sound card do you have in the computer? If the card has a SPDIF input (a digital I/O standard) you can run from the digital out on the 880 to the soundcard that way. I use a SBLive with the digital I/O board installed, which is a cheap solution. You can of course transfer the tracks through the analog I/O if your soundcard doesn't have digital I/O, but most sound cards that come in PCs aren't that great for recording purposes and will add noticable noise. Try it though, since it won't cost you anything to run a cable from the master outs of the 880 to the line input on the sound card. Except maybe a getting a cable, ;). If you do have a digital input on your soundcard, connect it to the 880 with an RCA cable, I use a gold connector 75 Ohm RCA video cable that I picked up at Walmart. Either way you connect it, you can use whatever software to record the wav on the computer while you play the song on the 880. I had been using SoundForge 4.5, but I am in the process of moving to Wavelab 3 completely when I get my audio computer setup again. For an inexpensive solution, try downloading Goldwave, www.goldwave.com. It should work for you to start with. From there it depends on what you want to do with the file. Compress it to MP3, get a CD-RW for the PC and burn it to disc, do a little mastering on it, etc.

If you have any questions about this or run into a problem, post 'em of course. Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by Jon X (edited 06-14-2000).]

Okay it looks like jon x beat me to it while I was typing.

Jon x...are you using an 880 or an 880EX. Is that digital i/o you are using the sp/dif connection?

Randompurpleness...You can use a stereo cord with one 1/8" stereo jack on one end, and two RCA jacks on the other. The 1/8" goes to your soundcard line in and the RCA's go to your master outs on the VS. This is providing you have something like a Soundblaster or better. The other way would be to get a more expensive soundcard with sp/dif connections. You'll need to use the right recording software so you will be able to convert to mp3 unless you want to send a wav file to your friend.

[This message has been edited by monty (edited 06-14-2000).]

I just downloaded a free trial version of CoolEdit2000. I tried to record to it going from the phones jack on my 880 to the input in my comp, but that didn't work. I'll have to get some master out cables I guess, but I tried recording the computer mic into the input and hitting record in CoolEdit and nothing happened. I have NO CLUE what sound card I have, but I can probably find out. I'm pretty sure there aren't any digital inputs...I'm looking to spend as little money as possible here, and just make due witht what I have. Oh yeah, I'd like to make it into an mp3 file if I can, which CoolEdit said it could do, but I can't really try that yet....thanks for your help, but one thing: I said I don't know anything about computers!! So when you go off using these abbreviations like "I/O" and "SPDIF" I don't know what you mean. I need to find a dictionary full of this stuff because I'm not able to learn much from this board about computers, it's like you're all speaking a different language!!

Check out the info on the home page. Glossaries, tutorials, etc. It's all right here on this website.

monty, I've got the original model 880, and I'm going from the digital out on the back to the digital in on a SBLive card with the daughter board attached. It's SPDIF.

Back