VS880 - no hard drive

_brian_

I bought a couple of virtual studios recently. Both were inexpensive, but one of them was sold for spares but I'd like to see if I can get it up and running.

I opened up the unit to find no hard drive, and a strange enclosure with a connector i've never seen before - so i really don't know what to connect to it!

There is an IDE- like connector with more connections coming from the mainboard, this then plugs into a connector board assembly with the same connector, however another connector awaits some kind of harddrive - another i've never seen before. It's a male 52 pin tapered at both sides connector.

Now, i have limited money now, so do not want to buy the original drives that were used in this unit - however some information on them would be great. I am far more interested in being able to convert into a standard IDE harddrive connector, or even sata - i can power these externally.

If all else fails, some kind of SCSI to contemporary harddrive connector would be fine.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

thanks for that wish, but i've been through those topics myself. My problem is that onboard i have a 50pin ide connector and a 50pin scsi connector.

This is the IDE & SCSI connectors on the main board:
IMG00296-20121007-1628.jpg

As you can see, these are both much larger than normal hard drive ide connectors and have 50 contacts - without the central dummy pin seen in hard drives.

This is where the 50 pin ide ribbon cable terminates to:

IMG00299-20121007-1629.jpg

I have no idea what this is, never seen it before. I don't have a caddy or anything!

Cheers

I would recommend that you post your questions and pictures at vsplanet. You will most likely get more help with your issue over there.

Good luck!

Back