Vs2480cd

good music russ

I have been thinking about improving on my boss br8, and getting the Roland VS 2480CD, mainly due to the 24 digital tracks, and monitor connection not having to look at an LCD screen all the time. and after seeing a package here ->http://www.andertons.co.uk/deals/SoundonSound.asp I want it even more. but just before I do buy it, I wanted to get everyones opinion on it. I'm used to helping out down london, and hearing very good quality from their reel to reels, and pro tools. I was wondering, what the quality is like. I'm thinking of starting my own small sized studio for recording my mates, and learning more myself. I know will need outboard gear sooner or later, and this doesn't have insert points. would it be wise to get a digital desk with insert points? or using a nice valve compressor before going to the desk to warm it up, and then using the insteral processors for fine touches during mix down?? also, what about midi? I was also thinking about getting an old mac, putting cubase on it, and using it for drums, string sections, piano parts for my own stuff. would I need to sync it up via SMPTE or something?

cheers for your help

vs2480 rules

Hey Russ, do yourself a favor and buy the Roland. I have one and it smokes alot of other similar priced units. Outboard gear is a good investment, but not necessarily needed to make very professional recordings on it. Effects boards are a bit expensive but thats an optoional. I have very picky ears, and my unit is capable of professional level recordings. I know that someone will say i am full of shit but i will post some things done on it and people will hear. Alot of people claim all of this compression crap is what you hear from the vs studios... this is not the case. What i am able to acheive on the unit is as close to proffesional as you can get without buying an entire studio. I am pro VS and Roland all the way, but like everything it depends upon your needs. You would need to come in from Cubase using SMPTE, although i really don't see why you would need to. Record the drums straight to the board with some good outbaord gear and you eliminate alot of time, money, and hassle. Hope this helps aid you in your choise.

The only thing I've found necessary with both VSs and the Yamaha DAWs is the need for a nicer a/d converter - kinda pricey though @ close to 2 grand. I know billions of people use them without, but if I were to own one of these units, I'd definately find a way to invest in one as soon as my budget allowed... I've heard the difference, it's astounding...

Flo' Dolo

Back