VS workstations vs. Computer based

druid

If this post is beating a dead horse then please ignore it. I know that you can’t compare apples with oranges and different machines suit different people’s taste. Having made that disclaimer I really would appreciate your input on what a guy should do who has eaten nothing but ramen noodles for an entire year in order to save a little over 3 grand to buy recording gear. I am interested in people’s opinions of the pros and cons of each system. I already own a computer with sufficient power to allow for digital recording. If any of you mixing maniacs out there have recorded with both a VS workstation (880/1680) and a computer based system with about 2 grand sunk into software, soundcard, pre-amps, outboard effects etc. could compare the two I would greatly appreciate it. Is the VS the all in one system it claims to be (effects, mic modeling, recording guitar direct, speaker modeling, etc.) or do you think that if one were to sink an equal amount of money into a computer based system they could build a better machine themselves. All input/opinions appreciated.

By the way I will be recording mostly guitar, base, drums, and vocals.

i have no clue about VS machines... but i will say that i stick to the old saying " use the right tool for the right job" .. it would be hard for me to beleive that a VS was good at EVERYTHING ... but rather ok at everything... with a computer your flexibility is virtually limitless.. you can get all the right tools for the right jobs... and easily upgrade as your needs grew .. i dont believe in an " all in one " wonder box.. but thats just my opinion...

- eddie -

My Opinion is go Computer. I have a vs880
and it records great. It has good effects
and a good mixer. But only 4-1/4 inch analog inputs. A computer based system has a larger
vista with all the new software and other
innovations there coming out with. I have
to pay $600 dollars if I want to add hard ware to make cds. Not only that, after 8 tracks I have to bounce. I hate bouncing.
I would think you would get more for your
money with a computer based system. Besides
that you already have the computer.
more options
more tracks
more expandability
more better
I'll send you info on a system im looking
at if your interested.
This is my opinion and does not necessarily
mean that it is my wifes. She's tone deaf
anyway. (for real. You should hear her sing)

Duck Summers

Thanks Duck I would appreciate any information you could send me and thanks for your reply on the VS.

I wrestled long and hard with the computer vs. VS debate. I took tentative steps into the computer world (about $2,000 worth) before I realized that, despite its advantages, it's damn expensive. You have to buy A LOT of gear to make it work: computer, soundcard (not a Soundblaster), software, mixer/breakout box, etc. It's very pricey. It's also very complicated, if you're a newbie. The so-called "basic" program I bought came with a 500-page manual. No thanks.
I ended up with a VS-840 and am very happy. It's not exactly user-friendly at first, but once you get past the learning curve, it's a good unit. Also, my goal isn't to make Sgt. Pepper--it's to make a good CD that ably document's my guitar playing and songs. This unit will do that. I do, however, plan to use my computer for mixdown and then burn a master CD off of that. Gotta make that two grand pay off somehow.
But in any case, I find digital recording gear too multi-featured--there are features on both the VS and computer that I'll never use. I just want to record my guitar parts in high fidelity and cut a CD. I neither want to be an engineer nor a computer geek. Just a happy guitar picker...such is my lot in life. Good luck.

If I already have a computer and I wanna buy VS880EX can I use both of them as a co worker? working together.. do they improve overall performance and ability?

I have used both, and they both have Pro's and Con's. I prefer using a PC to record with. Even when I used the VS880, I had to sync it up with a PC to use MIDI.

I've had lots of experience with both a comp. and a 1680. Here are my pro's and cons of each.
Comp. Pro's--- More flexability all around, more expansion options, CD buring is way better then on the VS machines, definatily easier to edit (because you're looking at a large moniter), and you have the ability to build it up little by little.
Cons----Not portable, more chance for things to go wrong

VS machines, pros--the portability, excellent AD converters, excellent sound qulity, and the effects cards are killer, (but mic modeling...ect isn't worth getting too excited about), lots of flexible routing options, and overall easy to use.
cons---preamps are a bit weak, editing is easy, but looking at those small display screens gets annoying, and Roland CD burners suck.
SO here's my conclusion: What I do is use the Roland for recording, and my comp for the editing/mastering...best of both worlds. IF you get a VS machines with 2 fx's cards, you'll be set. Then you can slowly add on to your computer (which can synch to vs machines for more tracks). That's what I consider a killer setup. I think the main factor will be your personal tastes, and specifically the kind of stuff you will be using your VS machine or computer for. Good LUck!

TCMCBRINN--what kind of soundcard and recording/editing program are you using on your PC for mixdown? And what tools are you using to record the master? Any help would be appreciated, because that's just the step I'm at.

thanks.

Hi, I've been reading heaps of reviews lately on sound cards etc. The roland 840/880 and 1680 i think its is look really flashy etc and have a heap of features. Umm would it be cheaper to get a soundcard (a box im not sure of the name TDIF or something) and plug everything into that, or would it be cheaper to purchase a VS system and do what was said above (get best of both worlds) - use the computer for mixdown/cd burning etc. I'm confused by what changes the quality when you use a VS system instead of a computer based system.
Thanks (im a newbie - could you tell?)

Excuse the poor English in the reply above!
What would you all recommend regarding recording a four piece band (similar to the situation in the first message) with a budget of about 1000$ US? (I already have a PC lined up thats capable of sound cards etc)
What exactly is involved setting up a computer based system. I know you need:
1. the computer (that can handle the:
2. sound card
3. software
4. a box/connection of some sort leading to the sound card that allows you to plug various things into the sound card -> computer.

Someone mentioned something about a pre mixer before the computer? What's the go with that? I noticed a setup in a music store using a Behringer Mixer before the sound card. Anyhow, I've got so many questions still to ask but thats the general idea!.. Thanks a million

I agree with tmcbrinn on the Pro's and Con's, but as you can see, he still uses a computer. A good thing about using a PC is you have just about any effect through software, plus you can use a mixer and introduce outboard gear to your mix.

To MusicFest,

Computer recording may be more flexible, but it's WAY more expensive and complicated than an all-in-one VS. Massive learning curve. Hard-drive crashes. All sorts of caveats for newcomers. On the other hand, the VS has everything in one box. I like it for just that reason. No muss, no fuss--just plug in and start recording.

WOW! This is great -thanks everyone - this is exactly what I was wondering about under the Newbies area -this will hopefully fill in my equip "gaps."

Druid, if it's now at all economically possible, and especially if you live on the West coast, I strongly suggest upgrading to a good noodle house (like Tung Kee) where you get tofu, fresh broccoli and other veggies to go along - very nutritious, cheap and to your table in only a few minutes.

[This message has been edited by keybuffer (edited 10-08-1999).]

Help me out here then, I have stared at the back of the Roland and the back of the PC. This is probably a real easy one gang... what kind of wire plugs where on each of the two units? Can a fellow just plug the Roland into the PC or does one need some wildly obscure box or gizmo to link the two? and if that one is easy, step two, how does one convince the two to communicate? I have a knack of pissing off my PC by putting in a modem. Shall I expect the same?

Even,

You can hook up your VS to your PC two ways: 1) by analog RCA phono jacks or by digital SP/DIF jacks. I queried the editor of HOME RECORDING magazine, Jon Chappell, on the subject and he told me that RCA is a perfectly fine way to go. Just get an RCA plug from your VS to a soundcard on your PC that also has RCA jacks. This way you'll get a good, analog signal which is fine for most situations. Remember, just because it says "digital" doesn't always mean it's better.

guitargarder-Sorry for the slow response. Right now I am between soundcards. I was using A SB Live a friend let me borrow for a while, but I'm looking into either a MOTU card, or Layla. I think Event Electrtonics may be comming out with some cards of their own, so I'm gonna wait and see what happens. As far as software, SOundfprge XP is good for mastering, but I'm not in love with any particualr program for PC. What I am in love with is Digital Performer, but its only for Mac. I do any tracks I'm gonna edit (drums, sanples) on the comp., them send it to thre 1680 and add guitars and and voice, then back to PC for mastering. Hope this helped.
Before ytou go out and buy a soundcard, I have a friend who somehow uses the soundcard from his keyboard, and connects them via Midi. The sound quality is excellent. I'm gonna find out exactly how this is done, so stay tuned for more info.

[This message has been edited by tmcbrinn (edited 10-11-1999).]

One strong argument in favour of a stand alone HD recorder like the VS88EX, VS 1680 or Akai DPS12, is RESALE VALUE.
In 5 years will still be able to sell those machines for 60% of their purchase price. And their resale value will never drop to being "worthless", as 4 track cassette units still sell used for $300-$400 Cdn.

A computer will lose 50% of its re-sale value in 1 year and in 5 years it will be financially worthless. Maybe the monitor will go for $200, and the printer for $50, but the rest $0.

After 2 years, you can always privately sell your "Wonderbox" and use the $ to buy a new computer, but you will never be able to privatley sell your 2 yr old computer to buy a new "Wonderbox". The computers re-sale value plummets too fast and settles too low.

Hey dudes!

Firstly may I say that I am not the same person as the Druid. Our names are just alike. Anyway I have both of these systems in play at the moment. I am currently using a VS880 and A computer equipped with two efficient audio cards, one being a Yamaha SW100XG with a PLG100VH sister board amongst a lot of other gear. Y-see the problem with the computer options is that they are not all that they have been cracked up to be. I record guitar music. British Indie, you know what I mean? so i can understand when you say that you will be doing guitar, bass, drums and vocals and also that you would like to acquire a system that is best for you.

In my opinion the computer options are unstable and long winded, also many would have you believe that this way is cheaper but alas, it is not. It's just that you would be spending the money in drips and drabs in opposed to one output.

The VS880, VS1680, VS840 /ex, all, in my opinion make for a better buy. although our learn-ed friend was correct in saying that the amount of inputs were limited to say the least (especially if you will be recording live music in a band capacity).

If I were you I would commit to the Roland, invest in an external mixer, maybe a Yamaha 01v and use the computer for mastering and CD burning.

This way you would also have the flexibility that if you did go over the amount of tracks you have on the VS machine you could then sync it to the computer and Bob is your fathers brother.

Hope Ive managed to help.

P.S you can get a used VS880 for around £700 (pounds) nowadays and an 01v for about £900 (pound sterlin). But then again you probably live in the U.S so these prices are useless to you.

Back