VS Series vs PC Direct

tamky

So, I'm looking for a reason to buy a Roland VS-2400CD machine. I am currently recording into my PC using Nuendo 2.0 + various VSTs and soft synths.
I am trying to see the point of using a VS type of machine as it's seems to me to be very limited in expansion, add-ons, etc. I.e., limited to 4 simultaneous stereo effects (after having to add a card at extra expense or being forced to use outboard untis) and no soft-synth abilities.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, what is the attraction of so limited a recording technique? Is it ease of use? Internal CD burning?
I would appreciate your views on this cuz the VS would look real cool in my studio. I just don't want to do it at the expense of versatility. :D

Stability. My old 880EX never hiccuped once in 7 years, and my new 2000CD, with the monitor, is very cool to work with. I can't see myself needing all those effects per track. The VSs have multi-effect algorithms for things like vocals.

Bottom line, imo, if you are happy with what you've got, then don't switch. I will say that the 2000CD will be the last Roland that I buy, unless their prices come down. Roland backs up in a proprietary format, and I needed to re-boot a lot of stuff from the 880EX, otherwise, I would've gone the PC/Mac route.

Back