VS-880EX - microphone "power"?

jackibar

Hi, Everyone - I'm considering purchasing a VS-880EX, but someone just told me that regular microphones won't work by just plugging them into the machine like I do on my Yamaha cassette 4-track recorder.... I'm new to digital recording (just now trying to make the switch) - and have never heard of such! Can someone explain this to me...?

Also, just to clarify - the 880EX is the one that allows CD burning and also has software available that would allow me to run the machine from my computer - right?!

Thanks!

Jacki :)

You can burn CDs from the 880ex, but it's not the most pleasant experience I've ever had. You have to bounce all the tracks down to a stereo pair, and those two tracks are what is burned to disc. It could have changed since when I was doing it, but I know that's the way it used to be. Not very fun when you have 8 full tracks of stuff, each with several virtual tracks beneath. You have a few options to control the 880ex from the computer, Logic audio makes software that I think comes with the Roland machines now. There are a few others that might be better, do a search in this forum for 880 software and you should come up with threads that talk about it.

You CAN plug mics into the 880ex and record directly without having a preamp or anything, but it will in almost all cases not sound as good as using a mic preamp. The other thing is I don't think the 880ex provides phantom power, so if you have mics that require that you won't be able to plug them right into the 880. I think the 880ex has two XLR inputs for mics, but I have the old 880 that doesn't so I won't say for sure. If you are just using XLR to 1/4" adapters to plug your mics into the 1/4" instrument input jacks on your current Tascam, then you can do that on 880ex as well.

Lousy Mic Pre's on VS880

I purchased a Behringer Eurorack mixer from Musician's Friend for $80....good preamps and a real bargain with all the patches.The model is MX 602A.THe VS880 mic preamps are really bad and sterile....they need a boost.Oh yeh...this little mixer has phantom power.

behringer

hey tweedville,

so you like that behringer? I just bought a Joe Meek VC3 with phantom power as well. i haven't had a chance to record yet, too busy with school

does the behringer have XLR outputs as well? or does it have 1/4" outputs like the joe meek. if it has 1/4" outputs I was curious to know if you lose sound at all from the XLR to 1/4" conversion.

thanks

tony

Yes you can plug mics right into the 880ex but your gonna need a source for phantom power if your using any mics which require it. It has 6 balanced 1/4" inputs but no XLR inputs. I've been using the 880ex for about 6 months now and the results are getting better with the more I learn about it's many functions. The learning curve might take you a couple months to get a real good idea of how it works.
Yes you can burn CDs and yes you do need to use a stereo pair to burn with (2 track mix. It does allow you to go through a computer also but I'm not sure which program would be best for it. Hope thhis helps,

SWG

Back