VS-840 makes me mad.

Capokid

Well, I've tried it all and it looks as though I am doomed to take my VS-840 to a repair shop.
Replaced busted Iomega zip drive (100mb) with Panasonic zip drive (100mb). Got the dreaded "Drive Busy" warning. Took the drive out and tested it in a PC and it worked perfectly.

Ordered upgrade from Roland to give me EX capabilites.

Put Panasonic zip back in 840. Loaded ugrade software with no problems (like the new interface for EZ routing).

Opened a brand new zip disk and was able to record about 5mb (aprox. 45 sec. to 1 min. on 4 seperate tracks. And then it started to happen again "Drive Busy"

You guys have been great and I realize that my machine just sucks ass. I am depressed that everyone else gets to post: "IT WORKED. THANKS GUYS" and I just keep posting my problems.

If I can't get any suggestions by labor day I think I am going to take it in.

Thank you in advance for bravely replying to my post. I really appreciate all the help everyone has given.

Capokid,

Which mode are you recording in MT1? If you record in MT1 you are limited to the number of track which you can play back and record. Check you manual out. If it is MT2, you shouldn't have as many problems. Otherwise, try optimising you song. That tends to fix a lot of problems.

Porter

Porter,
Recording in MT2. There is definately something wrong. I just ordered an Iomega 250 zip (maybe the machine don't like the Panasonic) that I will be able to return if it doesn't work. The new drive should be here in about a week.

tntkemp,
I have a few old 3.5" 540mb HD's laying around at home. How can I get the sufficient power to the drive?

That's why I specified 2.5" laptop drives. There isn't a 12v source in the VS-840. Others have used the 3.5" drives externally, but that seems clumsy to me. Check out the VS-840 forum on http://www.vsplanet.com. JimY, myself, and several others have investigated the options. Many of us are running what we're labeling the VS-840HD. That must have at least EX-level software, and can be upgraded to the full GX with software. 2.2GB is the theoretical limit for capacity on this unit. We point out sources for Adapter kits to attach a 2.5" drive to a standard IDE cable and power plug.

I just used my VS-840HD to demo several song ideas to the band...with my just-purchased-today Roland DS-90a speakers!

8')

Back