VS 1880 EQ/Comp/Carving niche

jerod

I have a VS 188O. I am just learning about EQing during the mix and have been experimenting with "carving out" niches for each instrument. ( I have used the search function and searched for this info and read some very interesting stuff. Figured I would add that as a newbie. I have read some pretty scathing responses to stupid questions and "re-visited" questions:)

1) Is there a Spectral Analyzer in the unit where I could "see" the EQ for each track? If not, how could I connect the unit to my computer to do this?

2) In the 1880 there is only a 3 band Parametric EQ for each track. If I am trying to carve out a space for each track it seems that this would be limiting. Are there other EQ options on the 1880( btw I have both effects expansion boards in place and can use all 4 effects simultaneously)

3) The effects boards have a ton of Parametric EQ settings for all different types of instruments/vox. Should I be using these as "insert" effects on the actual tracks and record wet? Or are these mainly for mixing later on? I have always thought recording dry was the best to leave your options open. But, ont he 1880 I can only EQ each track with the parametric eq and cannot get the exact setting that the presets have???

thanks!

Jerod

I have a 2480, so I assume many of its features would be similar to the 1880. As far input signals, I've always heard and had most success w/ recording completely dry.

On the parametric eq issue, I haven't spent a tremendous amount of time messing with them, but when I have, I haven't usually been able to tell much of a difference betweem them and the regular eq on each track channel. I know what you mean though, when you're scrolling through effects menu and see a specialized eq for every voice/instrument application, it's very tempting to try them all. I'd love to hear some more opinions on this vs eq business as well.

michael

rolland vs 1880

i cant help u but u can help me where can i get a fx card for mines n can u tell me if each track will be able to get thier own compressor efect

Back