Vox Phantom

Idgeit

Hey all, Im trying to find a copy of the Vox Phantom.

http://www.myrareguitars.com/specter6upfront.jpg

That was the copy made by Eastwood, but i have recently been told that they have stopped making them. And The copy guitar by Phantom Guitars, its the the finer details on it i dont really like.

Anyone Know anywhere that dose Vox Phantom Copys?

Thanks

- Idgeit

Vox Phantom replicas

I can identify with your Phantom passion. I had looked for a white Phantom VI since seeing Paul Revere and the Raiders on the old TV show "Where the Action Is".

I played a Vox Clubman and a Fender P-Bass through a USA Vox Essex amp in a British Invasion band called Stix 'n' Stones in Califonia in 1966-67. I remember seeing the Phantom VI in the music store in a color like Surf Green; weird shape, weird color. They were priced at $349.95. Not many sold as a US Fender Strat was going for about $275 at that time!

I kept looking off and on since then, but the nice ones were over $700 by the mid-90's (Japanese collectors were buying lots of unusual-looking guitars in the States and running prices up). I'd find a Phantom 12-string or a bass now and then, and plenty of Mark teardrops, but never a 6-string Phantom.

Last year I seriously considered buying a one-of-a-kind Vox USA prototype made by Phantom Guitar Works for the 1997 NAMM show. You'll recall that when the Vox amp line was launched about that time, some of the brochures featured new Vox guitars. The instrument program was cancelled , but Rhodes music had offered this guitar for the last few years, last time I saw it they were asking $1600. Only problem was it's RED. I tried to contact Phantom Guitar Works in Oregon to see about a white "factory refinish" but the 'phones weren't being answered.

Someone must have been looking out for me because just a few months later (this past March) I was doing a show in Santa Clara, California. Driving down El Camino Real I saw a funky little store called Starving Musician I'd driven past for a good 10 years when working Northern California. This time I went inside.

For a small store they had hundreds of instruments, not just on the walls but hanging from the ceiling. Half the inventory was basses, which was cool for me 'cause that's my main groove. After 20 minutes of browsing, I noticed a familiar WHITE shape at the end of one row. YES, a Phantom VI clone with "Eastwood" on the headstock.

It felt and played acceptably, neck was straight, Chinese Bigsby-licensed trem, beautiful finish, $269.95! For that price it wouldn't have to play, I'd hang it on my office wall for decoration!

It was brand-new, yet had no serial number, instruction booklet, warranty card, nothing. I thought to myself, "Phantom Guitar Works holds the rights to this body shape for the US market, this is a total bootleg and they'll probably be put out of business next month and I'd better grab this!"

Now that I've had more time to play this guitar, I'm thrilled with the set-up and playability. I had a chance to compare it side-by-side with a rack of Phantom products at Ed Roman Guitars in Las Vegas and the East wood was so much nicer there was no comparison. I've since found reviews that say the Eastwood is much better than the original British and Italian Voxes, and I have to agree.

Perhaps I was doubly lucky on the set-up because Starving had a black Phantom IV bass that played like crap.

If you're still seeking an Eaqstwood, Google Starving Musician and this California store's website will come up. Back in March they told me they had a few assorted models. Good luck!

Vox Phantom six string

I have a white Vox Phantom six string. Mine is the 5 sided shape, three pickup. I bought it from a friend around 1969-70. It might be from the mid sixties, not sure. Is this what you are looking for? Or do you specifically want the copy you described? Email me.

I have a white Vox Phantom six string. Mine is the 5 sided shape, three pickup. I bought it from a friend around 1969-70. It might be from the mid sixties, not sure. Is this what you are looking for? Or do you specifically want the copy you described? Email me.

SORRY! Didn't see your message 'til EIGHT years later! Plenty of original Vox sixes in black or red, almost no white ones. Funny thing is almost ALL Phantom basses are white! Go figure...

Do you still have the white six-string? Condition? How much? And where are you located?

If it's gone, how much was paid?

awesome old ass thread!

My first guitar was a phantom copy, black with white pickguard(back in roughly 1976). It was a "Del Rey", which from what I understand from past research is an Teisco offshoot. Like an idgit I traded it off, for what I can't remember, after I got my strat. Damn I wish I still had that guitar.

SORRY! Didn't see your message 'til EIGHT years later

Man, you must really want this guitar as eight years have passed and you're still looking for it. I sincerely hope you get it. But that user haven't posted since that one post in 2008, so I doubt you'll get any response. Good luck on your hunt though.

Man, you must really want this guitar as eight years have passed and you're still looking for it. I sincerely hope you get it. But that user haven't posted since that one post in 2008, so I doubt you'll get any response. Good luck on your hunt though.

Thanks for your concern, but don't worry. If you look up near the top of the thread you'll see I'm completely happy with my one of 128 made "lawsuit" Eastwood copy.

Clean original Vox Phantoms have listed for two and even three thousand dollars lately. Reminds me of what's been going on with '60s collector car prices. Forunately I got my '64 Sting Ray in '66 for $2600 used, still have it 300,000 miles later. And my "Steve McQueen" Heuer Monaco watch (the square one), bought new in '73 for $125, the "TAG" REPROS cost a couple grand and up.

I've long long long desired not the Vox but the teisco repro/knock off from the time.
I like the pickups used in the tesico (& other badges for the same manufacturer) on top of being keen on the design element.

I have three MIJ late 60's very early 70's guitars and I love 'em to pieces (Bruno & Guyatone) - a paddle would really add to it.

Back (mid 70's) when I had my Teisco/Del Rey Phantom copy, I wasn't sure if I had the coolest guitar in town or the oddball loser-est axe around. For whatever reason, I guess in a sort of self deprecating humor fashion, I dubbed it "an antique from the future". I guess i was just too young and stupid to realize how spot on I would eventually be. Damn I wish I still had that guitar.

Back