VOX Pathfinder Mods

folkrock75

Has anybody Modded a Vox Pathfinder 15R to reduce noise?

After purchasing a Fender DRRI, my VOX Pathfinder 15R quickly became the neglected step child. However, deciding to sell it the other day, I dusted it off, and after playing through it to ensure it still works, I was was once again smitten. For a small solid state, this little amp is amazing.

I have decided not to sell it and to utilize it for apartment-friendly demo recordings. I was wondering if anyone with the same affection for the Pathfinder or a similar small amp has preformed any mods?

In particular the VOX can be a bit noisy, especially when engaging any amount of Gain, Reverb, or Tremolo. I am not expecting to make it sound like an AC30, but I would love to cut the excess noise to aid in quieter recordings.

Details on Recording:
  • Playing with Fender American Strat (switched to middle/humbucking position to reduce single coil noise) (also with Epiphone Dot)
  • Amp is generally noisy, there is a slight running Buzz when switched on and mic'ed close with a SM57
  • Amp is always noisy, not room dependent, though the shielding in my apt. is poor
  • I have seen others online mention lowering the noise floor, but did not provide details
  • I am not an electrician and am aware that electrical work should be left to the professionals (but I am pretty handy with a soldering iron)

the biggest culprit for noisy electronics is fluorescent lighting if you have any fluorescent lights on they need to be turned off when using music gear, recording interfaces or anything related to those types of applications.
as far as any mods for that particular amp I cant help however any noise reducing mod for a solid state amp should be able to be applied to that amp.
sorry I cant help more
good luck with that.

I have quite a few tube amps that sit gathering dust.
However the SS path finder is not one of them. It is
just to light and handy to be neglected. I keep the
gain down as far a possible and the reverb at 2.

I did one thing to it I guess you could call a mod.
The reverb was making some weird sound so I tore
it a part and found some of the wires running to the
reverb tank were actually rubbing against the springs
in the tank. Rerouting them fixed the problem and also
quited it down. It is not as quite as my little 15W Traynor
but it was only about 1/4 the price. I also bought a 2 12
Vox cabinet for it but the little bulldog speaker sounds
pretty good by itself.

Links to Solid State amp mods

Okay, so does anyone have any great suggestions for solid state amp modifications that would reduce noise? Thanks again!

Back