VOX AD30VT Valvetronix amp question

mharr552000

I'm probably going to buy one of these within the next week or so. My only reservation is that I don't know how well a 30 watt amp will hold up for rehersals with a drummer and my Fender Bassman 100. Gigs are no problem as all of the places I play at have PAs. Can it handle it or should I get the AD50VT?

It's $150 more, but why not get the 50 watter? You'll want that extra 20 watts somewhere down the road...

my 2 cents.... :D

The bigger difference is the 10" speaker compared to a full 12" speaker. You will never get tones of amps with 12" speakers with a modeler with a 10" speaker. That is the one thing no modeler can model.

Think for a moment about what has a 10" speaker, and what has 12" speakers....then figure for yourself which you want.

H2H

I like 10" speakers. Infact, both my amps have 10" speakers. Granted one has 4 of them, but thats another story.

Check the Ohm of the speaker in both. 30 watts and 8 ohms might sound loud in the store, but it ain't much in a real world situation. (unless its tube)

If the 50 watt is outputting at a lower ohm (like 4) then you will be getting so much more volume it isn't even funny.

But all in all, its a solidstate for the most part and it won't hurt you to have a higher wattage amp than you think you need. Just depends on how much weight you want to lug around.

I bought the AD30 last saturday for a practice/backup amp, mostly for bedroom use, got tired of lugging my JC120 all over the place. Returned the AD30 the following day. If you're looking for the tonelab sound, this isn't it, neither is the AD50. IMO the only Valvetronix worth buying is the AD60 and higher.

I've owned 2 pieces of Tech 21 amps, the TM10 and the TM60. Though they sounded absolutely awesome for SS gear, they both broke down on me within a month. I've heard a rumor that Behringer bought the Trademark engine from Tech 21. Not sure of the validity of this. Anyways I figured hell, for only 279.00 I can pick up a decent backup amp that is based off the Trademark engine for 1/3 the price. The worst thing that can happen is it breaks down on me and I return it. Hell, even the Tech 21 broke down on me right, so what have I got to lose? I've also read rave reviews on the GMX212 at HC. I've also owned 2 other pieces of Behringer gear for a couple of years now, both bass equipment and so far not even a glitch. Anyways I picked up the GMX212 and let me tell you, so far this thing is absolutely incredible. Sounds exactly like a trademark (actually sounds a bit better) and much much better than the AD30 or any of the Marshall MG or Valvestate series. Takes a bit to dial in that SWEET TONE, but it's there if you look for it! If anything happens I'll follow with an update, but this thing is built like a tank, I doubt if I'll have any problems with it especialy being used only as a practice amp.

Just an idea here, check it out, you may be pleasantly surprised ;)

Last edited:
Outlaws said:
I like 10" speakers. Infact, both my amps have 10" speakers. Granted one has 4 of them, but thats another story.

I do too. I have/had a Pro Jr, Bassman reissue, Prosonic, and Blues DeVille all with 10" speakers and liked them all. But most of the people looking at the Valvetronix amps are trying to capture Marshall, Mesa, and Vox tones. I have the AD-120 and it does a good job with those, which is why I wanted it in the first place. I was able to stop lugging around a JCM2000 TSL and cab, and sold my old AC30 that needed lots of work. Also got rid of a Soldano combo that I don't miss a bit. For me, who has used many good amps touring and recording, the Vox is a really good replacement.

H2H

Back