Volume issues...need help.

poo_noodles

I started recording with my m-audio duo. It has 2 outs and 2 ins, when recording I use the unit itself as my pre-amp instead of the computer sound card. The problem is the volume on the duo is a lot louder than the stock sound card, so there is quite a volume difference. I burned a cd for my friend and the volume was VERY low as well. How can I turn up the volume without losing my original eq and the signal getting distorted?

When the level comes into your computer through the duo, that device will the limit to how high you can set the volume. Set it as high as you can without any clipping going on (set it a little back just to be sure). Now you should have a decent signal. Once the sound is in your computer, you can digitally turn it up, but you will lose resolution (might not be such a bad thing, try it). This can be done using your recording software.

When you say that the volume of the duo is louder, do you mean the output or the input? The output volume of a wave file is fixed once you burn it onto a cd. It shouldn't be louder or less loud on different systems. If you mean input volume, then just don't ever use your soundcard again. You got a nice duo, forget about the cheap soundchip!

Halion said:
When the level comes into your computer through the duo, that device will the limit to how high you can set the volume. Set it as high as you can without any clipping going on (set it a little back just to be sure). Now you should have a decent signal. Once the sound is in your computer, you can digitally turn it up, but you will lose resolution (might not be such a bad thing, try it). This can be done using your recording software.

When you say that the volume of the duo is louder, do you mean the output or the input? The output volume of a wave file is fixed once you burn it onto a cd. It shouldn't be louder or less loud on different systems. If you mean input volume, then just don't ever use your soundcard again. You got a nice duo, forget about the cheap soundchip!

I did set the duo according to clipping/volume. Like I said, when I run the duo as my soundcard, the volume is just fine. But the output volume of the duo is a lot louder than the soundcards volume. When I turn off the duo and switch to the soundcard, the volume is about 1/4 as loud. That's not the issue though, the issue is the volume of my wav file is very low and I want to know how to turn it up without increasing distortion or losing the original eq. I have also noticed running the duo as my soundcard produces a far beter sound quality than my stock soundcard.

What software are you using to record your audio? There should be multiple options to increase the volume. Forget about the onboard soundcard, you don't really need it.

Back