volume envelope(s)

welldonep

howdy fine people . . . question regarding the 'volume envelope': it appears to me that one cannot 'raise' the volume of a track, but only lower the volume . . . in other words the ceiling appears to be 0db. am i missing something? or, is it simply used to bring everything 'down' to the same volume, and then perhaps normalize the track. any insight would be greatly appreciated.

cheers~ peter

...Yes it's normal. It simply won't let you raise the volume, higher than the wave printed volume. If you wanna make the track louder, then amplified it first (wheter the whole length or just a spot (for example : using effects --> amplitude). Then use the envelope to bring the dynamic of the track at certain points down and up in order to fit the mix with other tracks...

;)
James

thanks james . . . that's what i needed to know. i appreciate you taking the time to respond.

cheers!

peter

This annoys me as well. I find a spot I want to turn up, and I have to move the whole envelope down, then turn the track volume up, then put in the changes. Not a hassle until I've got several volume changes in already, and find I need to turn it up higher than I have room for with that envelope. :(

This annoys me as well. I find a spot I want to turn up, and I have to move the whole envelope down, then turn the track volume up, then put in the changes. Not a hassle until I've got several volume changes in already, and find I need to turn it up higher than I have room for with that envelope

Just do what James said. Highlight the part you want to turn up and in edit mode amplifly just that part.

Tukkis

Maybe I'm Nuts

When I'm ready to start mixing, I take each of the individual tracks and boost the track by 6db. Then I take the envelope line and center it in the track, which is a reduction of -6db. That way, I can boost or cut in a pretty wide range. I figure if I need more room than this on any track, I've got bigger problems that require some compression.

I hate going back into edit mode and guessing how much of a boost a small area needs.

chrisharris said:
When I'm ready to start mixing, I take each of the individual tracks and boost the track by 6db. Then I take the envelope line and center it in the track, which is a reduction of -6db.
I've been doing the same thing, and it's not that dragging two dozen points down a half-inch before I get started is a terrible task by any means. As a software developer, though, I notice little things that kind have been very easily done in the software to take away these minor inconveniences. In the next CEP version, they should leave some room to turn the envelope up.

CrazyMonkey said:
I've been doing the same thing, and it's not that dragging two dozen points down a half-inch before I get started is a terrible task by any means. As a software developer, though, I notice little things that kind have been very easily done in the software to take away these minor inconveniences. In the next CEP version, they should leave some room to turn the envelope up.
No big argument from me there, but I think I know why it's the way that it is. Ideally, each of the tracks should be peaking just below 0db in the first place. If your track is also set to 0db, a boost of even 2db is going to clip that track. By forcing you to lower the overall volume of the track before allowing any boosts, it keeps dumbasses like me from wondering why I'm hearing this annoying buzzing sound during multitrack playback. LOL.

Or, maybe it was just an oversight. :D :D

chris . . . thanks for the suggestion. i wish i'd thought of that! but, hey, i'm glad someone thought of it. i'll give that a try this evening. thanks again for the insight.

peeeeeder

chris . . . i had a .wav file at work to try your suggestion. perhaps i am missing something, but after amplifying the file 6db, and then taking the volume envelope down to the center (-6db), i still found that i could not raise the volume above 0db. hmmmm??

peeder

If you raised the track volume +6db, and then lowered it with the envelope to -6db, you're AT zero db. The net change to the way the tracks sounds in the mix after doing this should be nothing. But then any bumps to the envelope are going to be over 0db, even though the little envelope line won't say it.

ahhhhhh, so your not actually applying a +6db amplitude to the track, but simply raising the track volume +6db?

thanks,

peeder

welldonep said:
ahhhhhh, so your not actually applying a +6db amplitude to the track, but simply raising the track volume +6db?
Yeah, that's what I meant. I can be about as clear as mud. I don't do anything to the actual file for this process. I just move the track slider up +6db, and move the envelope down -6db.

Back