Volume control for Monitors

clinton

I'm either mad or both
Hi All

I have posted a similar question in the soundcard section but I think it is probable better here....so sorry for the cross post.

Basically I have my monitors connected to the stereo outputs of my mobile pre and then i use the mobile pre's headphone socket to plug my headphones into when recording with mics... my problem is that every time I record with a mic I have to turn off my active monitors manually each so that they dont play the backing track...

I need to put a volume control between the mobile pre and my monitors.
Now, I have a presonus HP4 headphone distribution amp that has direct monitor outs and a volume pot for that output...if I put that between them I think my problem would be solved..BUT....

How much would that affect the sound coming from my monitors..It surely will affectr it as it is one extra unit in the audio path...do you think its worth it..

Thanks All

It might add extra noise to the signal. you can get something cheap like the Behringer MON800. i used to own one before getting my Motu unit which occupies a volume control for my monitors and headphones. the MON800 is really an awesome unit as a cheap alternative.

Hi studio master

wouldn't the Behringer add more noise than a "direct monitor" output which should (in theory) take the shortest pathway through the unit.

By the way.. I know the best way to test would be to actually TEST myself but i have a small studio and to do this is a major mission so I would like to get perspective before I go digging around in spaces not meant for human size.....

oh... and I'm also lazy.. :D

Back