Voice over mic

Motorbreath

Hi folks,

I'm working on a budget (aren't we all?) and I've narrowed it down to a few choices. I'm really trying to keep it under $300.

For radio and similar voice over work, here's what I'm looking at:

From Studio Projects:
B-1 (inexpensive!)
B-3 (changeable patterns, correct?)
C-1 (real good reviews here on the bbs)

Others:
AKG C-3000 (haven't seen any raves here, but have elsewhere)
Rode NT-1 (good reviews here on the bbs and elsewhere)

I can only buy one. :) Any advice? Anyone else here doing voice over work? I already have one station lined up, and another non-broadcast voiceover demo to produce. TIA!

I haven't priced them lately, but the EV RE20 is a good voice over mic. Pretty much a studio standard at many radio stations.

Update: how about 2?

What about this:

For the price of an AKG C-3000, I can get both a Rode NT1 and a Shure SM57. I'm thinking two mics for the price of one, sorta. But then again, maybe the AKG is worth it by itself.

One thing I thought about trying was getting the NT1 and the SM57 to use at the same time. Record them to seperate tracks then blend them, leaning more on whichever sounds better (probably the NT1) for a more full sound. Bad idea? Irrational?

I guess the bottom line is I need to capture my spoken voice the best I can for $300. If that's one mic or two, I am not sure. Decisions, decisions...

For voice over work...

I'd look at the Audio Technica 3035 ($199) or the Studio Projects C1 ($199 as well from http://www.macmidimusic.com ).

The Rode NT1 is a little shrill in my opinion. But, I've had one and used it with a local female DJ to good effect. She said that for voice over work that any of the reputable large diaphragms in that price range were good to go.

I've recorded radio sports on an old Tascam cassette portastudio four track using an SM57.

The B1 might be good enough. I've never played with one to think of it one way or another. I understand it's not as crisp as the three large diaphragms mentioned above.

Steve
http://www.piemusic.com

Wow, the specs on the AT3035 look pretty sweet. I'm going to Woodwind and Brasswind today (only an hour away) to try out a few, and it appears they have this one in stock for $189. They don't carry the Studio Projects mics though. :(

Thanks for all the input and recommendations. As my voice over stuff takes off, I'll be investing in better mics. I just have a very small margin for error on this first purchase. I gotta get it right the first time! :)

Oh yeah, and BTW. Has anybody else notice how bad the C3000 and the NT1 suck?! God, I hope nobody gets suckered into buying that garbage. Stay far from them and get an SM7, or a Sennheiser MD421 instead.
Cheers!
-kent

bought it!

After going back and forth between the Rode NT1 and the Audio Technica 3035, I bought the 3035. It sounded just a bit more full standing there at the microphone wall with headphones on. I also found an excellent review at EQ about it that helped me decide.

I opted not to get the SM57. Instead, I'm shopping for some wireless headphones. I don't use headphones too often, but I want the mobility when I do. I have other mics from my PA if I need an SM57-ish mic.

I just plugged the 3035 in here at home and have started playing around with it. Sounds great at here too. :) Thanks for the recommendation!

Back