Voice modulators for sounding like another person?

Hey everyone,

I've posted a bunch about doing voice over. I'm not like a character actress with a bunch of voices, but I do do audiobooks as well as some other projects where it is requested that I do at least two different characters. Curious if anyone could recommend any programs/plugins for voice modulation? I know many don't sound great, but I'd still be interested in trying some out to see. I'm curious about all kinds of modulations for any character type, gender swapping, monsters, fantasy creatures etc, but I'm working on a project right now where I need to do two female voices and I tried pitching up my own voice to make it more different but it didn't sound great.

Any tips or tricks are appreciated. Thanks!

There are plugins such as Kerovee that can create a variety of vocal effects, including piutch-shifting, robotic voices and so on.

If you are using Reaper, you can use ReaPitch to raise or lower pitch. ReaPitch also has formant control, which you can use to prevent, e.g., chipmuink effects.

Hey everyone,

I've posted a bunch about doing voice over. I'm not like a character actress with a bunch of voices, but I do do audiobooks as well as some other projects where it is requested that I do at least two different characters. Curious if anyone could recommend any programs/plugins for voice modulation? I know many don't sound great, but I'd still be interested in trying some out to see. I'm curious about all kinds of modulations for any character type, gender swapping, monsters, fantasy creatures etc, but I'm working on a project right now where I need to do two female voices and I tried pitching up my own voice to make it more different but it didn't sound great.

Any tips or tricks are appreciated. Thanks!

You need a plugin that separates time and space - so your voice has the same rhythm but is modulated higher or lower. Logic can do this - if you are on a Mac - Reaper, Cubase and others have versions of this if you are on a PC.

How much time do you have for your projects? Audiobooks are so long the editing for just usual recording is so time consuming and ultra dull. Converting each characters dialogue, phrase by phrase is madness. Have you considered a decent character action course with a real vocal coach. Being an avid audiobook user some actors are so good, and some big names simply awful. I’ve just started some read by an actor I remember from the 70s Christian Rodska, and he’s really good. You can learn this technique. Your voice from your past posts has a good character for some of your work, but needs a bit of guidance on others. Surely this would be most beneficial?

Back