Voice delays

doubler

I've been messing with voice delays lately and am wondering somthing, maybe some of you cool edit heads could help me out.

I want my voice to delay 1 second (echo)

I inititally hit record on both multitracks, so my vocals record onto two of em.

Now I throw down effects on one, and want the other the delay without the use of a preamp, I want to do it directly through the software.

Now how would I go about, making the second track delay behind the first.

I've tried doing the right click drag,but it will jump it to far to the right making the effect I want to cause distorted or all in all-shitty.

What can I do?

If your available for a one on one conversation reguarding this, I have aim and yahoo messenger, and wouldn't mind conversating.

aim: flashattakjak

yahoo: doubler

First, you can mouse move it any distance you want...just zoom in a lot closer it's jumping it over too much. Secondly, be sure you've got the buttons up top DISABLED that say stuff like 'snap to waveform' or 'snap to ruler'...they seem to always be pushed by default, which I hate.

You can also right click on the 2nd track and select 'waveblock properties' and change the start time of the track in there by between 30 milliseconds - 50 milliseconds. You have to make sure the ruler on the bottom is set to "Time 0:00.000" format instead of bars and beats or something else.

So anyway, when you do the waveblock properties selection, a box will pop up. If (for example) the track started at the very beginning of the session, then that box should say "0:00.000," and you'd wanna' change it to "0:00.030" to add a little dealy.

By the way, instead of recording the track on 2 channels, it's probably just as easy to record it once and then just copy it. Guess it doesn't matter really. Just seems like a waste of harddrive space to record it 2x.

Good luck.

Yeah, I'm just hearin how a subtle delay can help a mix,

here's where im at:

I copy the whole trk, Then in Edit View, I goto Effects>Delay>Delay anbd click the Vocal Presence setting. The preset is a little to much for my taste, so I just change the delay in the window, I put the Left at like 25ms, and the right always 2ms, after, in this case at 27ms. The effect is hardly noticable, but i Pull down the bass @ 150hz, and throw it (i mean place it) right underneath the lead vox (right in time, synced), almost 9-10 dbs lower. The effect is subtle, but nice.

Yeah like Chris said, u could also just Zoom in alot to make finer movements of the blocks.

Just getting into delay myself.

You apply the delay to the cloned mono track, right?

See, when I run delay on a mono track, only the windows for Left Channel are available to tweak. The windows for Right Channel are greyed out. That's normal?

What about panning of the two tracks? I'm really confused about this. Typical. :D

Delay

Many ways to do that! Which one to use?
It depends of many things too.
Anyway here is one of those many ways to do a delay:
Let us say you have these two tracks which are absolutely the same but you call them track1 and track2.
You can edit track2 in edit window by generating silence at start of the track.
Chose silent factor 1 sec and save the track.

This means you are stuck with two different tracks and it will use a little bit more than double storage place.
In your case I would just right drag track2 one sec to the right. (Use zoom)

I use Generate silence at the end of the track in cases I need to apply long echo at the end of the track but track has been cut just after last signal and there was no place for long echo repeating.

I think im recording in stereo, as the levels of the L and R channels differ in edit view, but yeah, if your using Effects>Delay>Delay, that window has settings for the delay on BOTH the left and right, i just lower the delay to around 25ms on 1 and 27ms on the other.

I *usually* pan it dead center, (the delayed clone) as long as there is also a voice over track that could "mirror" the opposing pan of the lead.

I guess panning it a few cents opposite of a lead is alright, a side of the delay gets to be shrouded a bit (by the lead).

Back