Vocals

gospel

If I am buying a inexpensive (less than $200) condenser to be used primarily for vocals and it is the only condenser that I will have (until I can afford another) should I be looking at a large or small diaphram condenser?

I just mentioned my fondness of the Studio Projects C1 in another thread. We like it better on female and male vocals (mine and my daughter's) than our Rode NT1. Many places carry the C1 for $199 and free shipping right now. Sweetwater sold it to me for $189 and free shipping. Lots of impressive reviews on this mic around the internet.

you can get a large and small for less than $200

Marshall MXLv67 and MXL990.....

gospel said:
If I am buying a inexpensive (less than $200) condenser to be used primarily for vocals and it is the only condenser that I will have (until I can afford another) should I be looking at a large or small diaphram condenser?

Hi Gospel,

The new NT1-A is certainly a worthwhile consideration and if you can stretch your budget a little more then you could try the NT1000 as well. In any case maybe you could try to borrow or hire a selection of mics, demo them with the vocalist and in the environment that you intend to record in, then choose the mic that you prefer (most) or all of the time.

gospel said:
Either can work... but I'd look for a large diaphragm condenser.

You don't say what kind of vocals you are recording, but if you are thinking about recording ensembles or choirs live then your first mic purchase might well be a pair of mics so you can record a live performance in stereo. Fortunately there are some acceptable choices in LD condensers that can be had for two for $200

Back