vocals

ridl

I think this might be more appropriate here rather than in the recording forum. I can record fairly clean vocals on my computer and they sound clear, but there's a problem. They have a live sort of sound, no punch to them, no meat. I've heard of using compression on them and have tried EQing to no avail. What do you guys do to fix your vocals? I can post up an example Thursday.

Vocals are a little tricky indeed and I am by far not the greatest at it, but try some of these things...

I am assuming you do not have a dedicated mic booth or sound proof setup so.......

1st what type of mic are you using? I would suggest a cheap instrument condensor mic made by sony or maybe even phillips-it will probably use a battery and be very thin.

*I highly suggest using the EQ by taking away a lot of mid, and messing around with low and higher freqs* In my opinion there is very little Mid in Hip Hop and Heavy Metal-usually they will boost the bass and highs and down the Mid for crispness and punch.

Hope this helps a little, because I had the same problem-and did the Eqing like I said above and my vocals sounded way better to sit in the mix.

Let me know how that goes and I will try to give more advice if needed.

I=AM

hmm

originally posted by lilman

No use trying to get help here. I found that out a long time ago. Unless you have a beat to hear that won't say shit.

as long as it's pertaining to dj/hip hop/rap/beats it i'll eventually get answered, just keep in mind that most of us are also beginners.

ridl are you using plugins? if so do you have a multiband compressor, parametric or paragraphic eq?

holla back so i can try and hook you up

what is your setup?

some more questions. start with the performance- is it a punchy performance?

then to mic technique, is the vocalist being consistant as to distance and direction to mic?

then to mic choice? what mic are you using? a nice punchy dynamic mic helps for this sort of sound.

after all this, if you still arent getting a punchy sound, there are a million more techniques...

but try the above first.

i have found that lots of vocalists just cant give a good performance to a big LD condenser behind a pop screen. they get timid.

in this case i give them a nice handheld mic with a wind screen and tell them to eat the mic and run around and do what they want, just like at a club. ive been loving a beyer m201 for this purpose right now. it has tons of top end, so the windscreen doesnt cut out too much. and it is very beefy. a beyer m88 would also be perfect for this.

Back