vocals too loud in the mix...

ndxs

so, I have this live recorded thing of me and some friends.
over all i like the sound of pretty much everything, BUT, the vocals came out way too loud in the mix.
It is a mono mix (just 1 trk) and I need the vocals to be brought down a lot, while the rest of the track stays the same.
any ideas please?

You are fucked...how's that for an idea?

No seriously though, it is near impossible to fix that without ruining the rest of the mix. Try a parametric EQ. First find the offending frequencies by boosting and sweeping the eq around until the voice gets louder. Then cut the frequencies that have the most voice volume in them.

I'm sure someone makes a vocal remove plugin or software for kareoke singers...anyone?

Another Idea

You might can do an OK job using a multi band compressor.
Same Idea as above but won't screw with the tonal quality as much. Pick the frequency band of the vocals and push them back some. It might do the job unless the the rhythm tracks occupy the same frequencies.

tmix

thanx for the input folks. I was actually thinking about doubling the track and then using a vocal remover. I have already tried the parametric eq idea with little bit of success, so maybe I'll try the remover next.
Thanx again.

jake-owa said:
Couldn't you just mult the track and pan em hard? Same thing no?

I guess it's the same "No". I also tried using CEP 2 feature Effects --> Amplify --> Channel Mixer --> Vocal cut. But works similiar. It removes exactly similiar signal found in both L & R of stereo track. (...correct me if I'm wrong :o ) But I think the only way to reduce the vox level the best without ruin the rest tracks is to re-mix 'em. Otherwise, be happy tweaking the Eq...

;)
Jaymz

jake-owa said:
Couldn't you just mult the track and pan em hard? Same thing no?

Hah ha! THat's pretty funny.

Unfortunately, doing that still gives you a mono recording (that happens to be twice as loud).

Vocal removers work on stereo recordings because lead vocals tend to be panned down the middle. So do kick and bass, but their frequencies are lower than lead vocals (unless you're Barry White) so they can be excluded from the process if done right. If you make a copy of a mono track and pan the original and the copy wide, guess what: EVERYTHING is STILL panned to the center.

Sorry.

littledog said:
Hah ha! THat's pretty funny.

Unfortunately, doing that still gives you a mono recording (that happens to be twice as loud).

If you make a copy of a mono track and pan the original and the copy wide, guess what: EVERYTHING is STILL panned to the center.

Sorry.
Oh? So wouldn't that method of vocal removal also remove everything panned center? The kick, snare...ect?

Back