Vocals Sound Heavily Doubled While Tracking...Help!

BigEZ

The Devil Has Blue Eyes
Hi All,

I'm having a very annoying issue where my vox sound like they're on the highest setting of a chorus effect while tracking. When I play them back they sound fine.

I don't have any chorus effect on. I have the track set so I can hear the effects I am using while tracking (mild reverb and compression).

I just can't seem to figure it out why I'm getting this effect only when tracking. Sorry, I should also say that even when I'm not recording I still get this effect on the mic. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Knowing what you are recording with would help. Kinda like asking: 'On the way to work today, my wheels started making noise. How do I fix it?'. It seems you might be hearing your direct signal, as well as a delayed (latency) signal coming from your DAW. If you are using a DAW????????

I'm using the following...

-Oktavamod Rode NT1A
-UA710
-Focusrite PRO24DSP
-Sonar X1

Thanks,

I definitely think you are hearing a return from your DAW, as well as your direct signal. One of them needs to be muted. :)

K, I just realized that it's only when I arm "input echo" on the track. This is what allows me to hear the comp and reverb on my voice while recording so it sounds better to me. When I disarm, it's my straight voice but no effects on it. I really like having the effects on cuz it sounds so much better and I end up throwing down better takes because of it. Any idea how I can still have the effects without the doubled voice? I.e. How do I turn off one of the signals and not the other.

Thanks,

I am not familiar with your particular software or interface, but I am sure there is a way to turn off direct monitoring. Or something in your 'Mix Control' software. I'm sure someone with better knowledge of your gear will be around soon. :)

Yep - turn off your direct monitoring and go dry. Sucks but I think if you don't mask what you are recording you will get better pitch and dynamics....You can enjoy the mix later when you mixdown

You have direct monitoring on in the Focusrite. Turn it off. Input echo lets you hear the output of Sonar and it will have a latency delay. The direct monitor from the Focusrite has no delay, so if you hear both, you get the chorus sound you are hearing.

Back