Vocals sent to amp, recorded from mic'd cab.

Omniscient

So I was reading on the forums about some people using one mic to sing into and sending that mic to a cab. Then recording the sound from the cab and sending it to the mixer. I've been trying for about an hour now and I can't get good recording levels at all because when I turn up either the gain, or the volume on the amp head I just get ridiculous feedback. I mean the concept sounds pretty simple, maybe I've just got too many electronic devices too close to eachother in such a small room?

The set up is

Audix i5 connected directly to a B52 100w tube head, then using a sm57a to record the cab, sending it to my mixer. The room is like 10x10 feet and I've got all my recording stuff running at the same time. I dunno guys. Got any input?

I've just got too many electronic devices too close to eachother in such a small room?

I'd say that is your problem.....that Audix is too sensitive.
I'm not sure you can eliminate feedback in such a small room.
Did you try pointing the amp away from your Audix?
Maybe you could try sitting in the closet to eliinate the feedback. Not comfy but may work....

facing the amp will help a little, but just a little.

you'll need to get a long cord and be in 2 different rooms.

OR record direct & then play it back through the cab & into a mic.
What's the result you're aiming for?

OR record direct & then play it back through the cab & into a mic.
Exactly. You should not expect to be able to do this live with the mic and the amp unless there is a *ton* of isolation between the mic and the amp, or unless you put them in different rooms.

But I wouldn't even bother with any of that. I'd just do it like Ray says; treat it like you would re-amping a guitar. Record the vocals direct "normal", and then go back and play back that track back through the amp to re-record the amped vocal to a seperate track.

Just turn your monitors down during this process (you won't need them during the re-amping anyway) and you'll have zero feedback problems. Plus you'll have the added advantage of having a dry source track that you can use to try several different re-ampings if you wish.

G.

Back