Vocals: Rode NTK vs. K2 vs. Classic II

AudioClueless

Monetary differences aside.... which do you feel is the best overall vocal microphone? Is the Classic II worth the extra dough?

I'm a bit stuck between these three Rode's so I thought I could get perhaps some experienced users to chime in on their experiences with these mics...Thanks!

AudioClueless said:
Monetary differences aside.... which do you feel is the best overall vocal microphone? Is the Classic II worth the extra dough?

...K2...best of both world's...has characteristics of both, while more versatile than either...great mic...don't overlook the SP T3..another terrific tube value...

I have an NTK, replaced the tube and it mellowed quite a bit, a little harsh b4 now it is very smooth and a I like it a lot. I like tube mics lately and the T3(also with a tube replacement) is my goto this month but it's new and will probably nestle into a spot of utility soon.
Both mics rock

OK, the following contains things I have heard so take them with a grain of salt.

I own the NTK, it has a upper range bite that many do not care for. I have found however that this characteristic is reduced if you warm the mic up properly. Like over an hour. The mic really smooths out if you give it some time. When I have been in a hurry and the mic gets turned on and used, it's going to sound grainy and rough and the tracks are harder to deal with in a mix.

K2, I think I got this over at Gearslutz from a guy that has both, but it's smoother than the NTK with similar sonic characteristic. The multi patterns of K2 make it more versatile around the studio.

Classic II - Not heard a thing but it's a 1 inch diaphram so the sound will be large and detailed, I am sure. You might ping the gearslutz crowd to see if anyone has used it.

Last edited:
Middleman said:
I own the NTK, it has a upper range bite that many do not care for. I have found however that this characteristic is reduced if you warm the mic up properly. Like over an hour. The mic really smooths out if you give it some time. When I have been in a hurry and the mic gets turned on and used, it's going to sound grainy and rough and the tracks are harder to deal with in a mix.

...take a tip from Big Kenny (above) and upgrade the tube to a nice NOS Siemens 6922/E88CC...it will greatly reduce the upper range "bite" you referred to...I've done so in both my NTK ande K2, as well as most of my other tube mics...works wonders for a small investment (decent quality NOS tubes can be found for as little as $10 on ebay)...

...hey!...my 500th post!...damn!

Back