Vocals on Logic Pro 9?

dna3496

I've been making beats & writing rap lyrics for fun & I'm starting to put some stuff out. I'll take a while trying to make my lyrics sound as good as they can but when I get a final product I still don't like the way it sounds. Are there certain mixing techniques or plugins I should use to get my vocals sounding better? For a verse, I typically use a little compression, EQ, and exciter with a very very little amount of reverb.

Here's my music: soundcloud(.)com/chipdglas

Get your posts up (by commenting on other folk's stuff) & then post a real link.

One cannot tell how an eq sounds just by looking at it. However I can say right off the bat that you should not be cutting your highs. All the sheen is up there. Also I doubt any singing is happening at 73 hz. That is deeper than I boost kicks generally. Read up on subtractive eq. Cut out the things you don't like and you may save yourself a whole lot of boosting.

Let's start by getting rid of the low shelf and hi shelf and the 73 hz boost. Engage the hi-pass (furthest button to the left with the curved line on it) and start pulling the freq of that up until the mud of the vocal is gone, but not too much or else the vocal will be too thin.

I'd also get rid of all the boosts in the midrange once you've done the above and start fresh with the midrange - listen for what really seems to be troubling and attack those frequencies directly. There might not be anything in the midrange you need to cut/boost at all.

@guitarplayr82 I started fresh with the EQ with just the hi-pass filter like you said, then I saw what needed help. I realized the EQ was actually making the vocals sound worse. With my new default I have it so there's only a little boosting in the midrange & no sharp decreases/increases at any frequencies. It doesn't seem like the EQ makes much of a difference to the original vocals but it sounds a lot better than what I had.

Recorded a quick freestyle today & I think it sounds much better than my last recording. Thanks again for the help.

youtube com/watch?v=e51petEgBgE

Back