vocals/drums issues

theD1CKENS

*insert clever title here
first, I wanna thank all the members here for being so active in these forums. you have no idea how much you've helped me!

I recently got my hands on a Korg D3200 and finally got some decent sounding guitars recorded with some waaaay less than optimal mics/conditions in general, thanks to you guys. now I need some advice on getting drums and/or vocals down.

I've recorded vocals and drums before on various different stand alone machines and run in to the same problem every time. there's always a lot of hiss and pop in vocals(my pop filter doesn't seem to help much), and I can't get rid of it without losing clarity. the same holds true for drums. the cymbals are too shimmery(I don't know how to describe it, but it seems to be a similar problem as with vocals)?

assuming I'm not investing in room treatment or expensive mics or ANY new equipment for a while, is there any advice to give to help fix this? I read on these forums somewhere abobut getting the right sound BEFORE you record(which helped tremendously) and NOT using excessive amounts of EQ. I'm stumped for now, and it's getting close to band demo time.

The problems I've had recording drums have come down to two main issues. The drummer and the drums. It seems that most drummers can't seem to regulate how they hit (usually too damn hard). Couple that with cymbals that are meant for live rather than recording and you can end up with an unfixable problem. Trying to get snap out of a snare that is dominated with hi hat is a loser too. What mics do you have to work with?

If those are the mics you have then I'd be tempted to just put a 57 on the the kick and the other on the snare. If you had harsh cymbals, this will help you there. You'll have to play with placement.

Back