Vocals drowned out

kno1ills@yahoo.

I make hip hop music and sometimes I have a problem with the sample and the vocals competing with each other. Like the frequencies are very similar and at the same level so they have a drowned out sound.<I think thats whats happening. Any suggestions? I'm not that good at mixing, but have no choice but to learn. Thanks

Your beat is probably too busy.

It's a common thing. Too much stuff going on. Tone the beat down during the verses. Less is more.

Think of a print ad with a whole bunch of pictures and busy colors going on behind the text. Kind of drowns the message out. Visually speaking, the ad would work much better if the background was simple, as it would help the message (text) to stand out.

Music is really no different.

You're welcome.

i forget the name of the method, but u basically create a whole in the beat/sample and sit the vocal into it via EQ. like taking the vocals more dominant frequencies, subtracting those freq. a few dB in the beat/sample, it helps the vocal cut thru more... but if u trying to get the sample out, i guess u could take that theory and EQ it differently then the vocal to help it stand out... just ideas...

i forget the name of the method, but u basically create a whole in the beat/sample and sit the vocal into it via EQ. like taking the vocals more dominant frequencies, subtracting those freq. a few dB in the beat/sample, it helps the vocal cut thru more... but if u trying to get the sample out, i guess u could take that theory and EQ it differently then the vocal to help it stand out... just ideas...

Sounds like it might work.^

Thanks everyone for the input.

yeah I agree, It could be either problem but if its an eq issue a tip I use is if you have a lot of tracks route all of them exept the vocal to a bus and put an eq on that, scouping out some of the mid range maybe 5db at its deepest point centred around 1K (for a male voice) with the edges of the scoop toucing 400hz and 4k, you should now be able to have the vocal clear without it sticking out of the mix.

if you have a lot of tracks route all of them exept the vocal to a bus and put an eq on that, scouping out some of the mid range maybe 5db at its deepest point centred around 1K

Yes, this is a great technique. I generally cut only 2 dB at 1 KHz on the vocal track, and reduce everything else the same amount at the same frequency. If you boost and cut too much the music and vocal will sound affected. Use a Q around 0.7 to 1.0, and try other frequencies between 700 Hz and 1.5 KHz.

This also works great for making bass tracks clear. Only in that case you boost 200 to 400 Hz on the bass, and cut that frequency on everything else.

--Ethan

yeah I agree, It could be either problem but if its an eq issue a tip I use is if you have a lot of tracks route all of them exept the vocal to a bus and put an eq on that, scouping out some of the mid range maybe 5db at its deepest point centred around 1K (for a male voice) with the edges of the scoop toucing 400hz and 4k, you should now be able to have the vocal clear without it sticking out of the mix.

That's great advice. I'll definitely try it the next time I'm on.

Back