Vocals - Compress or Limit?

Mountainmirrors

kaleidoscopic renegade
Hey -

I've always used a 4:1 compression on vocals - but I notice a lot of limiter plugins have vocal presets.

What's the deal with this? Is it better to compress or limit a lead vocal?
Thanks!

Yes!

Mountainmirrors said:
Hey -

I've always used a 4:1 compression on vocals - but I notice a lot of limiter plugins have vocal presets.

Thanks!

But seriously, do you know what a compressor does vs. what a limiter does? In most cases you'll want to compress the vocals (if needed) and save some limiting for the 2-track mix to make sure nothing clips.

That's what I thought. A limiter just keeps any signal from passing a threshold at all. Usually 0db on a master bus.
The compressor lowers the highest signal by a specified amount, making the lower level signal louder.
So why is it that limiters usually have vocal presets on them?

Alrightythen...maybe try a (p)op shield or (b)ack off a (b)it from the mic? The old "(p)encil taped to the to(p) of the mic trick" works reasonably well.

Farging comedians...

I use a limiter after the compressor sort of a safety net...but the limiter is the La2a UAD plug which does have a sound which i find pleasant on vox as well

compress, at 3 or 4 to 1

then if youve got an overly dynamic singer to wrestle with, put a brickwall limiter at -1 - or so thatll keep the clips at bay.

the waves L1 is great for this
couple it with a bombfactory fairchild plug.
smooth smooth smooth.

peace.

Mountainmirrors said:
Thanks!

I've not been keen on going with presets, but to answer, on the limiting end of the scale are a different set of responses, a different tool for the job at hand. Taking a bit aggressively off the top is just a different sound than is had at the other end.
If you are recording in 24 bit in a reasonably controlled situation, you can do it for the sound of it. 144 db(more or less :p ) is plenty of 'safety net' isn't it? :D
Wayne

Do we not need to bear in mind that compressors and limiters are just tools - you can do what you like with them!

Rather than saying 'save your limiting for your 2 bus' or 'compress at 3:1' wouldn't it be better to firstly think about what you want your material to sound like. Then you can start to think about how to get there and that comes down to understanding what your compressors and limiters are doing to your sound. I'm not just talking about understanding that once you go above -20dB at 2:1 with a hard knee every 2dB increase at the input corresponds to a 1dB increase at the output. I'm talking about realising how that change corresponds to the sounds you hear.

With limiting and compressing you've got two similar processes but they affect your sound in different ways. Actually, scratch that comment. They're the same. The reason they sound different is purely down to the different attack, release, threshold and ratio settings 'generally' used when compressing and limiting.

In general, limiters are set up so only the peaks exceed the limiters threshold setting. This means only a small portion of the signal is affected by the limiter. The majority of your signal therefore passes through untouched and the increase in gain is fairly transparent. If you lower the threshold too much though, the material begins to distort as more and more of the waveform is squared off.

With compression, the threshold is often set much lower eg. -20dB. This means the majority of the signal is being compressed so your material is affected much more and will probably sound 'thickened' or 'fatter' . Saying that there's nothing stopping you setting your compressor to just kick in on the peaks. On top of that, your choice of attack and release settings will also change how your compressed material sounds. Arrghh, so many variables!

But in short, neither is right or wrong, they're just different ways of changing how your material sounds. You want your vocal to sound fat and very loud? Increase the compression and limit heavily. You want it to sound natural but get some gain increase? Go easy on the compression and limit gently. Play around with it and you'll start to hear how these things change your sound.

For harder vocals that are really dynamic i will sometimes use a 15-20:1 ratio on vocals. The best is what ever works best for your mix.

Danny

Back