Vocals Air Tone - what FX processors do i use?

SoUlGuY

I've been trying to find that kind of tone but alas no luck. How do you get that kind of breathy tone especially on backing vocals; you know, the kind like monica and mariah carey to take an extreme example.... boosting 7k-10k doesn't really help; the tone i'm hearing is not just EQ, it's something else; some sort of 'noise' that wraps around the voice.. I have a DAW with a rack of analogue gear including a mackie 1604vlzpro, focusrite voicemaster, SPL vitalizer, quadraverb and LXP-1. i'm currently using samplitude and a host of direct x plugins.
I'd appreciate any advice.. thank you

i think what your looking for is a aphex aural exciter, it has a harmonic and bottom function that does real nice, but of course u need some eq. good luck.
Jal

Sorry, you may have a real hard time getting that effect with effects. That kind of sound comes from the voice, a good mic, good wire, and a good mic pre.

I did a demo for a girl about a year ago who had that kind of voice. It just had the top on it. I was using a AT 4050 trough a ART Pro MP to an ADAT XT 20. Lost just a hair of that top when I needed to insert a compressor going to tape, but not enough to ruin anything.

I have come across other singers that have that same top. You can hear it when you stand by them when they sing. Those that don't have it don't.

I have used Aurel Exciters, and while they can sometimes add a bit to it, it does not sound the same. Obviously, the better the exciter, the better the effect. Not all of the Aphex Exciters are the same. The really good ones with all the parameter controls are a nice chunk of change. The stuff you see in the advertisements usually give up parameter control to offer it at those prices.

Good luck.

Ed

I completely agree with sonusman. I think you're gonna have far better results with quality mics, pres, and wire than with an effect. Also, even if you have a good mic and wire, I think what pre you're gonna use is a BIG factor. I'm thinking about purchasing a pre which will give me better results for what you're trying to achieve. I describe it as "open", "airy", and "breathy". I've decided I'll probably purchase a Great River MP-2M in a few months.

What your describing is TUBES>

A good tube Mic preamp is what gives you the airy quality. It can also be enhanced by an eq like Neve or Pultec. They even have air as the freq you dial in.
Bucks though. Of course.

"Tube" is not necessarily always the case. In fact, I think "Class A" has more to with it than "tube".

The Neve 1272 will give you more "warmth" than a lot of tube pres. However, you're not really going to get that "airy", "breathiness" top-end sound from a 1272 as you would from a Great River MP-2 or a Martech MSS-10; which are transistorized and Class A.

That effect can sometimes be acheved by setting the mic too close to the singer (almost kissing the grill) but it also take a good mic etc.. and the right singer or you will get lots of pops and SSSSSSS

Good luck

I'm kinda late in on this one--just saw it--but if you still want another opinion (and lots of good ones already here by the way) try eq'ing not only the voice but the effect. IE run your verb back through a channel if your FX returns don't have eq's, then play with tweaking the higher end. You can add a lot of air to the voice this way. But as someone already said, some voices just have it.

Back